Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A broken turn signal......free came with bike $0 :)

A bic pen.... package of 10 .97Cents :)

Time to get get your turnsignal fixed.... 5minutes :)

Being able to have turnsignals that don't look like ear rings on the bike flopping around...... Priceless :pepper: :pepper:

Details below..
also
http://photos.yahoo.com/mstbone67a in the 85 vulcan folder.

OK so I was thinking there has to got to be some way to repair these turnsignals... Hrmm.. previous owner had put 2 nails in one of them.. That didnt work.. then I thought why not a tube!!.. Ok.. dig dig dig.. found some metal chip brushes.. cut a piece and thought eeee.. bare metal shoved into there.. Not a good idea.. well good but not the right metal tube.

Then I came upstairs and there sitting on the stove was the "BIC PEN" I saw it and instantly took it apart and wow it fits..

I measured a piece of heatshrink to the size I needed for the bic pen.. Cut the bic pen then used some 2-ton epoxy on the rubber of the turn signal.

Its rough its ghetto.. its.. ok half ass.. I went to Home depot but they "of course, since i usually shop at Lowes" didn't have any metal tubing.
The only thing close was the threaded tube for lights.. but it was too big. I didnt want to have to rip the signal apart to drill the rubber.. and risk the chance of ruining it..

Wow thats a lot of rambling for some broken turn signals.. But I had 3 of 4 that were broken.. I even "SHAFTED" the good one.

there you have it a .97cent investment to repair your broken turnsignals.

good luck

Attachments

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
That's a good idea for a fix-it. And well documented pics.
Good job :smiley_th

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Gr00vy!

·
Geek
872 Posts
American ingenuity !

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wish I could of found a better tube.. but oh well. they might last for a while who knows..

·
Registered
699 Posts
Great job, love the quick fixes....reminds me of when I fixed my brakes on a garbage truck with a cigarette butt

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
Thanks for the pic's and instructions !

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I gotta put some bic pens in my fork bag now, incase of a turnsignal break while out cruisin' !!

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Nice job, I have the same issue on one of my vulcans, I wrapped it hard with electrical tape and it did well until they sat in the sun and got a little droopy again. I'll keep this in mind for winter refits =)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know that Lowes or somewhere I saw some metal tubing.. that would work better. I just didnt see any at Home Depot. Now I did bump one of the turnsignals last night and it broke again but it didn't fall or droop. It was the one with a bunch of the rubber missing in the middle, after using the bic pen trick I figured this would be the turnsignal that would need repaired again.

I think an improvement to my patchfix (bic pen trick) would be to use:
-Metal tube? Nothing sharp
-Something little more flexible than 2-ton epoxy. Especially if you need to fill in some missing rubber. E6000 like but I have only seen this in clear or white. \
"Correction" e6000 is available in black http://www.ace4parts.com/adhesives.htm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts