Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I've been living with a broken shock mount for about a year.
Recently I aquired some new rear progressive shocks & in the process of changing them out, I finnish ruining what had broke a year ago.

The broken thread section of the shock mount finally stripped, not having enought thread to properly hold the accorn nut.

This is were I began.

First thing is to cut off the old thread portion, leaving it as smooth as you can.

Drill a hole in the end that will accomidate a 10mm x 1.25 Tap.
Aproximatly 1/2" deep.
On the tap's package, it will indicate which size bit to use.

& Tap that hole!

With the hole tapped, insert a new 1" long 10mm x 1.25 (1.25 thread count)
Once it is in there nice & tight, Squarely, cut off the end.

You'll have a nice new non stripped or broken shock mount.
Throw your shock back on & bolt 'er down.

Now Go Ride!

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
yup that will do it and if you don't necessarily need the acorn nut you can just screw the bolt on after you mount the shock

great write up short and sweet just like i like it

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Great work ! Well done !
That is great ingenuity !

:smiley_th +1

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
Drilling that 10mm hole in the center of the stud must have been a trick, especially with the stud still mounted on the bike.

·
Just a regular guy
833 Posts
Very nice!

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually... Not that bad. I drilled a pilot hole first then the larger. The metal was surprisingly soft. Maybe why it broke so easy in the first place.
Or my über muscles! Lol

·
Registered
856 Posts
I think the only thing I would add to this process would be to add some Locktite to the thread of the bolt to be sure that it doesn't come loose from the stud.

Aside from that, damn fine job and good idea.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
my opinion is that this too is worthy of a sticky so it doesnt get lost in the cavernous depths of knowledge here

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Much respect.

Reactions: kanuck69

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,078 Posts
Awesome .sticky,sticky,sticky.id loctite the stud and put ant-sieze on the acorn nut si as not to pull the stud out

Reactions: kanuck69

·
Alpha Geek
487 Posts
I'd definitely weld it too. That bolt is threaded into some pretty thin metal and you said it was soft material. Seems like it's left a little thin and there isn't much to keep it from cracking. Nice work though. Much easier than drilling the whole thing out and putting a stud into the frame.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Weldings not a garage job for everyone. ;)
I agree it would probably be some stronger but, the weld would still only be on the end.
I suppose if you really wanted to make it a permanent thing, mix up some stick weld & coat the threads. Then as you put it in, it would create a bond internally being stronger yet.
But, I've had no issues with it.

Was a great fix! ;)

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I'm wondering if drilling into the solid stud where the shock goes, making it hollow, would weaken it. It is not made of the best quality metal, you can tell that from how easy the threads stripped. Remember there is a lot of weight and stress on that stud. I've had this problem on a couple of bikes. Rather than mess with the solid stud, I used a die to make new threads where the original threads were stripped. Yes they were smaller, but the only reason for the nut that goes on these threads is to prevent the shock from sliding off. You could probably ride without the nut and the shock would stay put. On one of these bikes I just used a smaller nut, on the other one (Yamaha XS650) I used a threaded bushing with threads on both the inside and outside. I screwed the bushing on to the new threads, using red locktite, then used a larger nut on the outside of the bushing. Either way there is no chance of weakening that stud that supports a good part of the weight of the bike and rider.

Another way of doing it (that for me would require a professional) would be to have more metal welded onto where the threads are stripped, machine it round, then retap the original sized threads on it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts