Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys...im working on my wifes bike...the kawi 454...and taking the shocks off the bottom bolt snapped at the nut...
It appears to be welded on...im not sure how to fix this...
The shocks and mounts are very similar to the vn750..

Im guessing im SOL...and have to remove the whole swing arm and grind the weld off and bust the bolt out and replace it??

·
Registered
196 Posts
You could cut off the part that the shock eye goes on then drill through the boss and then just use a long shoulder bolt through the the hole. If you're careful you could use a hacksaw and a hand drill without having to take the swingarm off.

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.....is that bolt thing something i can order???

Cuz if i do take it off and grind the weld down to remove it...i can weld in a new one.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
does kawasaki show a parts list for that? Or a diagram?

I would do as slim says, get rid of that old thing, put a new bolt in of same size, I would weld the new one in.

kenny

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
another thought - weld a new piece of bolt on the end of what you got there? Grind it down and tap it, lots of work and better suited for a machine shop, jeez at that point you can prolly get the whole new fram assy from kawasaki.

check the price on that while you are at it, check junkyards too

kenny

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks kanuck...i may try that..i was just worried about two things...is the thing hardend and going to be a pain to drill.....and keeping it directly center...

This is the wifes bike and i want to do it the best way i can and keep it safe for her..

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
I didn't find it to bad to drill. Run a pilot hole then drill the fitting hole.
As for being centered. The shock actually rests on the smooth part you see.
As long as your realt close to center (as mine ended up being) your fine.
The nut really only keeps the shock from sliding off its post.
This is an easy ' effective fix. :)

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks...i got me a tap and several drill bits already...but i need to find the right size bolt.
Here at work all we have are 10mmx1.5 not the 1.25....but we have he 1.25 taps..lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts