Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
2002 VN 750
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 02 VN 750 and the shifter pedal is broken. It is stuck in 1st gear. The pedal (shaft) slides in and out about 1/4 of an inch, It is also very lose. The nut holding the pedal to the shaft is fine and tight. If you lift the pedal up it just falls back down with no resistance(it flops around).
Is it any easy or INEXPENSIVE fix?

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Firefighter, it's not a hard fix but it is time consuming. You have to have fingers like a little girl and a couple of long nosed pliers also. You can also use a extendable magnet cause you will most likely drop the spring a couple times, I did, before you finally put it where it belongs. I did all this without totally removing the cover but moving the cover off to the side.

This is a serious weak link in this bike since Kaw could have easily spot welded the Pawl spring and this would never occur. Should it happen to me again, I'll remove the engine and pull all this out and spot weld the pawl spring to the shaft as should have been done in the first place.

Just take your time and try to have the bike raised where it's easy to work on. Drain the oil and loosen the cover carefully and you won't have to replace the gasket, I didn't, and then you can move it around until you have contorted your fingers where your able to replace the spring in it's given place.

Best of luck. Mine has ran perfectly ever since. Oh, the reason mine fell out in the first place was that I went down a washboard gravel road taking a shortcut to another paved road. The vibration, which were severe, were what caused the pawl spring to bounce out of place.

As much as the bike can really p*ss me off at times due to over engineering, it runs like a banshee and looks as nice as a 16 year old cheerleader in heat. I guess a 61 year old man can say that, eh?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts