Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bike already had an ear shave from the previous owner, but it was never marbled or coastered. I bought some coasters online, should be here in the next 3 days. Had some extra time so I decided to remove the valve lines. 3 bolts came out with no problem, then, the 4th bolt (right side, lower bolt) decided that it was just going to snap. Cool! There’s about 1/4” in. Luckily it didn’t snap flush like I’ve read some people have had happen. I read here to try the vice grip and tried that. Nothing. It just messed up the threading. Should’ve tried the old Double Nut Technique first, but didn’t think about it till after I mangled the threading. So, the only option (which I was and am still hesitant about) was to try and drill through and get it out with an extractor. Well, I got it in, but now the extractor starts to twist a little and might break if I turn it too much. The other option I’ve read here is to Dremel it out and rethread it. I’d like to avoid that if possible. I’ve used Liquid Wrench penetrating oil while trying to get this out. Thinking about going with a size up on the extractor. They were only like 2 or 3 bucks at Home Depot. Anyone have any suggestions or tricks they’d like to share?

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Visegrips with a curved jaw work best. Small pipe wrench, 4-5", works well.

Try tightening 1/4-1/2 turn, turn it in and out a few times.

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Pull the tape back and try to get some oil on the threads if they're exposed inside.

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Forgot this.... If you drill the hole all the way through the bolt, the tension on the threads will relax a bit more.

Some mild heat then cooling with penetrant will help wick the oil into the threads. Some people swear by wicking candle wax into the threads.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, I let the liquid wrench sit over night and just got home from work and tried to rock it back and forth ...
Forgot this.... If you drill the hole all the way through the bolt, the tension on the threads will relax a bit more.

Some mild heat then cooling with penetrant will help wick the oil into the threads. Some people swear by wicking candle wax into the threads.
I let the penetrating oil sit over night. The next day after work I tried to rock it back and forth with the vice grips a little and it snapped off some more. So, I ended up drilling through the bolt. I was worried about hitting something behind it when it went through. The extractor is still no help, so I’m gonna try to just go up a size with the drill bit and just keep widening the hole in the bolt till I can maybe pick it out.

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Nothing behind there that would be hurt by bumping with the drill bit, just don't go deep.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts