Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding home from a 4 hour trip to the beach with the wet buffalos (my riding group) when I had the great idea of standing up to relief butt pain and the left footpeg cracked falling at 60plus MPH so my reaction was to hang from the handlebar which turned the bike to the left into the opposing lane. Luckily there were no cars and I regained control of the bike stopping ahead.
Aside from the "Oh my God, I think I just ****ted in my pants" experience everything went OK after all.
Damn footpegs, I´ll never ever stand up on this or any bike again dude!!!
Happen anything like this before???:wow:

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
I was riding home from a 4 hour trip to the beach with the wet buffalos (my riding group) when I had the great idea of standing up to relief butt pain and the left footpeg cracked falling at 60plus MPH so my reaction was to hang from the handlebar which turned the bike to the left into the opposing lane. Luckily there were no cars and I regained control of the bike stopping ahead.
Aside from the "Oh my God, I think I just ****ted in my pants" experience everything went OK after all.
Damn footpegs, I´ll never ever stand up on this or any bike again dude!!!
Happen anything like this before???:wow:
Sorry can't help you on your peg failure, but I am curious why your group is called the "wet buffalos". Must lose something in translation!? ;)

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
My gosh Coyote, I do that a lot, never gave the thought of a footpeg breaking, and I weigh a shade over 200#... Exactly what did break, the hole break out in the peg ??? Surely not the pin... That had to be one heck of a jolt, and requiring a good amount of striking pads...lol... Glad you didn't get hurt...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
If I want to stand up when I had my stock pegs I would put one foot on the rear anr one on the front. Gave a more ballanced platform on the bike.
now I have a set of Fire and Steel boards and don't worry.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK. wet buffaloes is the name of the lodge guys from the flinstones. A least when you hear it in spanish as I do (I live in PANAMA).
And the peg cracked up at the hole (JEJEJE that sounds funky), the pin is intact and the base is perfect.
Think the alloy blend metal is the problem, light but not so strong.

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts
The peg is made from cast aluminum, which is notorious for not being very strong. Likely there was already a crack in it, and by standing up it finally gave way.

These thing can get alot of stress on them through the years, but usualy the only way one breaks is if the bike at some point has fallen. This seems to happen to folks with used bikes, as they are unaware of the bikes history.
Good idea here is to check yours for cracks, and replace it if need be.

By design they can hold alot of weight...but not if they are damaged of course.

KM

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Knifemaker,I have to say, as always, dude You are right!!, I checked for cracks(LOL), and found another one on the other peg. Holy Sh...t!!! So I called the previous owner as he´s a close friend, and he spoke the truth. He has fallen on everybike he has ever owned at least twice, that bastard!!!.
So I´m actually using the rear pasenger pegs that fit even better and feel better when using the shifter. Now I´m looking forward to buy a couple of used rear footpegs to put on my bike.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Had one instance where one of the guys had broken the peg and did a temp fix with re-enforcing it using a couple of large washers and JB Weld.
Might not be a bad idea for those that have found cracks

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
I think he knows that, but when translating back from spanish it comes out Wet Buffalos.

;) back

KM
That's why I asked if something was lost in translation here. I just was having a hard time envisioning a group of "1 per centers" with "The Wet Buffalos" written on the backs of their leather jackets!

LOL (Coyote - I hope you know I am laughing WITH you, not AT you.)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well the thing is that after a long roadtrip these guys smell like buffalos.
The flintstones show or as I hear it LOS PICAPIEDRAS (THE STONECRUSHERS), say los bufalos mojados and mojados mean wet, see?
Everything is kinda different on common translations, some examples ahead:
vulcan means volcan, which really means volcano.
Now volcano, means volca (turns or twist) ano (anus) so it could be something like a-hole twister.

·
Registered
185 Posts
There are reasons why standing up on motorcycle pegs while riding is illeagal in the US.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts