Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Im a newbie here.

I have 2006 Vulcan VN750. Im rebuilding. I has 2500 original miles.

Has a transmission problem that i have to figure out, but first I need to get it running...

First up.....

How do I open the gas cap? see photo attached..

I dont want to remove or cut the cap.. Tank still has gas in it...

Thanks in advance,

BC in NJ

Attachments

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Looks like a screwdriver is the only way with it like that . It has to turn to the right to open. A shot of WD-40 won’t hurt if the mechanism is sticking.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Ouch.
Well, I've never torn one down, but almost all cylinder locks have a cam at the back end that you need to turn in order to move the latch, so you'll have to see if you can turn that somehow. I can't tell from the picture, is there anything left of the cylinder at the bottom of the hole? Do you still have the piece that got pried out?

Short of that, you'll have to get destructive. Weakest point is usually the hinge which you could cut through with a dremel or reciprocating multitool. It'd be a shame to do that since gas caps are scarce.

·
Registered
8,331 Posts
It's been posted that you can knock the pin out of the hinge and lift the cap off. I've never done it, watch the paint.

·
Registered
8,331 Posts
was just gonna say that. again, I have not done it, but that pin goes all the way thru the cap/hinge
I'd have to wrap my brand new tank in bubble wrap and Gorilla tape first.

Man that Gorilla is worth the extra money if you want something sticky and tough. Red Green would have a field day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts