Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All-

I was installing my coasters today and one of the bolt heads on the left side reed valve broke off... Now the good news is I have about 1/4 of screw head to play with once I take the reed off... Any ideas about the best way to get this sucker out? Would an impact driver be my best bet?

Part of me is thinking to run it to a mechanic and they prolly wouldn't charge me a lot to remove it but what are your thoughts?

Thanks Guys

·
Super Moderator
11,867 Posts
I'd take a file, file two opposite sides so there a little flat, and then hit the bolt with penetrating oil. Let it sit overnight, then clamp it with a pair of vice grips (at a right angle if possible) and try turning it out carefully.

The bolts not that big, but on larger ones I've drilled a hole through the side through the bolt and pushed a steel pin in it. Easy to grab with even regular pliers.

But I always pre soak with liquid wrench first.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Or if you have a tap handle you could clamp that on and turn it

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
I'd take a file, file two opposite sides so there a little flat, and then hit the bolt with penetrating oil. Let it sit overnight, then clamp it with a pair of vice grips (at a right angle if possible) and try turning it out carefully.

The bolts not that big, but on larger ones I've drilled a hole through the side through the bolt and pushed a steel pin in it. Easy to grab with even regular pliers.

But I always pre soak with liquid wrench first.
If you can't get it with the vice grips you could file it flush, drill a small hole in it and use an EZ out
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00966202000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
Hit it with PB Blast and remove with Vise grips!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks all. Picked up some vise grips from sears on the way home. About to attempt to crank this bolt out. I sprayed it last nite and again this morning with pb blaster. So we shall see. Quick question. When I took off the Reed valve cover there was no gasket. Where do I install this gasket. Between the coaster and the Rees valve or the reed valve and the bike?

Thanks

·
Let's Ride!!
606 Posts
Another possibility is if you have a Dremel tool you could cut a channel in the end of the bolt with a cut-off wheel so that you can use a flat-head screwdriver to get it out.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got it Out!!!!!! Thanks all!!! I hit it with PB Blaster.. Filed down two sides as KM Suggested... Latched the Vise grips on and out it came... Thanks everyone for your help..

I also figured out the answer two my second question.. Coasters are installed :)

Now... lets go see if the poppin is reduced!

Thanks Again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts