Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had my 750 for about 4 months now. Just started to notice some oil on the garage floor. I am not a mechanical guy, so please forgive incorrect lingo and ignorance. Got under the bike and noticed one of the bolts that hold the two engine halves together has a broken mount. There is a bit of oil on the bolt, so it seems like it's not holding everything together tight enough. Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
It would appear you are correct. Part of your case is broken. Maybe hit something on the road? The only fixes I can think of require the engine to be removed from the frame at least. The bolt boss could be welded up, machined flat and drilled/tapped for the bolt. If you are only losing a few drops I would just put a piece of cardboard under it for now. Someday you may have to pull the engine and can deal with it then. Maybe even just get a used side case for cheaper than paying a machine shop. I wouldn't try it at home. Sorry, maybe someone else will have another idea.

If you check Roach's rebuild video, Pt. 6 when he splits the case, at about 3.07 minutes, you can see what it should be.

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,501 Posts
Have had my 750 for about 4 months now. Just started to notice some oil on the garage floor. I am not a mechanical guy, so please forgive incorrect lingo and ignorance. Got under the bike and noticed one of the bolts that hold the two engine halves together has a broken mount. There is a bit of oil on the bolt, so it seems like it's not holding everything together tight enough. Any thoughts?
It is a little difficult to see from the picture angle and I am not near my biked but if you were to put a bolt through the hole would there be anyplace with threads to hold it in place or is there a second tab that will be pulled snug if a nut was used with the mentioned bolt? If the answer is no to both questions (and I am pretty sure the answer to both qwstion is "no") then your only choice is to have someone weld a new tab with threads in place so as to be able to hold the two halves together. I also agree that the motor should come out so you can see if there is a crack waiting to let loose when you are far enough away from home to cause a major problem. I would not ride it until you know if there is a crack lurking in the dirt and grime just waiting to let loose and cause a real major problem. I decent welder should be able to make up a piece for you in a minimum amount of time but it does need to come apart to get a proper weld done with a new threaded tab. Good luck.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yep, I had not thought about a possible crack, but that is a real problem if it is there. Especially since something broke the original metal off. Drain the oil and pour alcohol in the case. It will leak though a crack you cannot see (used to use it to find cracks in distributors on cages). If may also be possible to tap threads in a small piece of aluminum stock and have it welded onto the bottom of the case. There could be a small gap between the new stock and the other case as long as the mating surfaces were tight.

·
2,501 Posts
Yep, I had not thought about a possible crack, but that is a real problem if it is there. Especially since something broke the original metal off. Drain the oil and pour alcohol in the case. It will leak though a crack you cannot see (used to use it to find cracks in distributors on cages). If may also be possible to tap threads in a small piece of aluminum stock and have it welded onto the bottom of the case. There could be a small gap between the new stock and the other case as long as the mating surfaces were tight.
The alcohol idea sounds pretty good. It makes complete sense and I am sure I would never have thought of trying something like that on my own. I appreciate the tip for future reference. I just hope I don't need it for one of my own situations. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright guys, I took all of the advice I got and realized I don't have the time/mechanical fortitude to do too much about it. I can trace the incident back to a piece of concrete kicked up by a car, so I filed an insurance claim. Got a few quotes on how much and how long it would take to get it all fixed and they were more than the bike is worth. Adjuster is coming out on Wednesday and we'll see what they think.

I am heartbroken.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
If insurance totals it, buy it back for whatever cheap price they give you, and use some of the cash to buy an engine off eBay for $500-600.

Easy peezy swap.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,363 Posts
If insurance totals it, buy it back for whatever cheap price they give you, and use some of the cash to buy an engine off eBay for $500-600.

Easy peezy swap.
Was gonna say the same thing

·
2,501 Posts
Alright guys, I took all of the advice I got and realized I don't have the time/mechanical fortitude to do too much about it. I can trace the incident back to a piece of concrete kicked up by a car, so I filed an insurance claim. Got a few quotes on how much and how long it would take to get it all fixed and they were more than the bike is worth. Adjuster is coming out on Wednesday and we'll see what they think.

I am heartbroken.
If all that is wrong is the tab then I don't see how he can total the bike. That fix for a regular experienced welder is very simple. Where are you located? This is why we prefer that you do an introduction under the Newbie Check-In and tell us about your riding/wrenching experience and your location. There may be a forum member close by that could help you pull and split the case and possibly suggest a welder for the actual repair. Good luck.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Another idea, without having to remove the engine, would be to thoroughly clean the case around the broken piece, scuff up the case and put a nice layer of JB weld over it.
If done properly, JB weld can hold for the lifetime of the bike.

Reactions: OleDirtyDoc

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Another idea, without having to remove the engine, would be to thoroughly clean the case around the broken piece, scuff up the case and put a nice layer of JB weld over it.
Good idea hyper. I suggest that Teknofiliak warm the engine up, then drain the oil out of the crankcase and let the scoot sit until the oil quits dripping.

THEN clean the bottom of the case and scuff it up. :)

·
2,501 Posts
The original tab was broken off so now there isn't a threaded tab to accept the bolt going through the tab on the opposite half of the case. Are you saying to put a layer of JB Weld all over that joint line area instead of replacing the missing tab? I am not sure if that would work out very well and I am a believer in JBWeld.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I am a believer in JBWeld also but do not think it would be strong enough for the lateral pull and torque on the threads. I think it need to be solid aluminum. But a good welder could come up with a couple of ways to do it. I can think of one that would not require splitting the case but the heat could still compromise the case seal.

Lucky to have insurance, I never figured these bike were worth the cost of the premiums.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's the nice part of the bike. My insurance with $100 comp and collision deductible was like $120 for the year. Could be saving my butt this time. Do you guys have any advice on how not to have this happen again?

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,363 Posts
That's the nice part of the bike. My insurance with $100 comp and collision deductible was like $120 for the year. Could be saving my butt this time. Do you guys have any advice on how not to have this happen again?
Watch out for large chunks of concrete;) just bustin a little

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
The original tab was broken off so now there isn't a threaded tab to accept the bolt going through the tab on the opposite half of the case. Are you saying to put a layer of JB Weld all over that joint line area instead of replacing the missing tab? I am not sure if that would work out very well and I am a believer in JBWeld.
Yes. Patch, not repair.
It's not a mounting bolt so I wouldn't think there'd be any torque that'd cause the JB weld to fail.
I'm thinking of this as a cheap/easy fix. If your insurance will cover the majority of the cost, go for it!

Good idea hyper. I suggest that Teknofiliak warm the engine up, then drain the oil out of the crankcase and let the scoot sit until the oil quits dripping.

THEN clean the bottom of the case and scuff it up. :)
That's a great idea.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Just wanted to shoot you all an update.

Ended up picking up a new (to me) bike. 2009 Vulcan 900 LT.
Insurance pay for it?

If so, nice free upgrade!

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,363 Posts
Nice.by any chance ya buy back the 750?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Oddly enough I have the same problem I am going to try jb weld and see if it works for a while. My bike is a little project that I don't seem to have time for so i really don't feel like pulling the motor to have a new tab welded if I don't have to. Hopefully the jb will hold well enough.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts