Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DOIN THE SHAVE. Found lots of parts online. Having hard time with finding the right breather filter. (size and who from). I have been to websites such as sherms, ronayers.com, motorcyclecarbs.com, imotorcyclestore.com, newportcycleparts.com. (havent call yet but looked online) Cant find part numbers of shims or needle shims under the searches. The breather filter everybody ask where to mount after ear shave. I want to know is a "clamp on" or "push in" filter. So, questions are where do you find shims, and breather filter and further more what type. myself and the 1992 vn750 would greatly appreciate. :carryflag

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
The information you seek is in the Vulcan Verses. Do a search for ear shave. All the part numbers and vendors are there.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Theres deffinatly info in the verses for doing an ear shave, but it's not exactly the easiest to understand. For example a 140 vs a 142. that's all good but when you go to buy them is it a 7mm, 8mm, 9mm? the answer is 8mm. But that little tid bit I couldn't find. Bman helped me out there.
For a breather/filter I used a breather from advanced auto. Purolator #B23134. It's not a "pretty" thing, but it does fit behind the radiator nice. Any "Bike shop" not a dealer, would probably have the pretty ones.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, was just trying to another place. sudco has 4 jet min. and a 10 or 12 shim min purchase. Also I have been to that verse from time to time since last year. Ihave also been through alot of thread and just never heard alot of post on shim and breather info. Most talk about carb filters and jets.:carryflag

·
Registered
748 Posts
Kawasaki part #s:
#140 main jet 92063-1013
#40 pilot jet 92064-1136
#42 pilot jet 92064-1135

Haven't located a Kaw part# for 142 mains, but haven't looked real hard either. I'm using 140 mains (both cylinders), 40 pilots, and one shim on each needle. Started with no shims; eventually had to change the carbs (busted a fuel nipple), and stuck a shim under each needle for ****s and giggles. Didn't really notice a difference, but haven't gotten around to experimenting further.

J&P Cycles has jets, also. I got my 142s,145s, and 148s (for the 1500A ear shave) from a Yamaha dealer, which is also a J&P dealer. They're the same as used in some Harleys with CV carbs; offhand I don't recall which ones, but I'll do some research and post when I find them. May take me a while, tho.

You can use #4 flatwashers from the local hobby shop, or Ace Hardware, for shims; IIRC, #2s were too small to fit on the needle. I had some from the hobby shop; yes, I play with model airplanes, and trains.

Jim

·
Registered
158 Posts
You can also try your local Kaw dealer. Mine had the jets and the shims. Cost me less then the websites too.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Can someone measure the shims for thickness? Any fiber or nylon washer, if the right thickness, will work. Measure in MM and inches if you would.

DT

1 - 7 of 7 Posts