Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,813 Posts
Are both front and rear brakes not working as they should?

·
Registered
Yellow 1986 VN750
5 Posts
The rear brakes are mechanical drum set up so I'm guessing it's front brakes your working on.

Do you have pressure at the brake lever? You should get about an inch of movement before before it gets progressively harder to move. If you can pull the lever all the way to the handle bars you either have air in the lines or need to rebuild the master cylinder. Bleed and bleed some more until it firms up.

You should see a tiny amount of movement at the calipers as you pull on a firm lever. If not the calipers maybe frozen and a rebuild/replacement is in order depending on the condition caliper cylinders (pitting, scoring).

I've had good luck sourcing brake parts from brake crafters.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Before you start tearing them apart have you tried to tie the brake lever to the handlebar and let it sit like that overnight? If there is air in the line sometimes this will help make it find it’s way up and out. Anything that will hold it and not give will work.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,363 Posts
I've never tried this on a Vulcan but it works well on Honda clutch master cylinders, but you need to cover the bike well, as it gets messy. Try cracking the banjo bolt and bleeding it right at the master first, then try the bleeder valve

Sent from my A501DL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,089 Posts
What mmart said ^.
Because there’s two calipers, there’s a junction box that spits the from the master cylinder line to two lines for each. This sits horizontally and in my belief can trap air bubbles.
After bleeding the lines, tying the lever down overnight does seem to stiffen the lever...you can go a step further and tap the lines from each brake up the hoses with a screwdriver handle to get any tiny bubbles to travel up the lines faster.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,363 Posts
What mmart said ^.
Because there’s two calipers, there’s a junction box that spits the from the master cylinder line to two lines for each. This sits horizontally and in my belief can trap air bubbles.
After bleeding the lines, tying the lever down overnight does seem to stiffen the lever...you can go a step further and tap the lines from each brake up the hoses with a screwdriver handle to get any tiny bubbles to travel up the lines faster.
Could also crack the banjo bolt open at the junction and bleed it there before you crack open the bleeder valve

Sent from my A501DL using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts