Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Brakes Pad

Greetings to all,

I've just joined the forum. I have owned the bike for slightly over two years now and I absolutely love it.
I would like to know where to shop for brakes pad and any tips for first time DIY. I have changed engine, shaft oil and have also flushed break fluid in the recent past. I am considering changing front tire on my own and was thinking of taking care of the brakes at the same time.

All feedback with suggestions from fellow bikers would be highly appreciated.

Thank you all and keep riding
:motorcycl

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Amazon, ebay, etc - anywhere will do for brake pads. I like EBC brand pads myself.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
Oh come on now,these guys are newbies.give them a brake(a sarcasm smiley would be perfect right now)and everyone here wonders why 2000 and I always ask for newbie introductions and stuff.it seems like lately some of the guys here that were giving Tom and I crap are now saying things as well.hmmmmmm...

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
Welcome sku.would you please do an introduction in the newbie section for us? We like to get to know people here so we can better help them.thank you.

Reactions: minikrew

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Oh come on now,these guys are newbies.give them a brake(a sarcasm smiley would be perfect right now)and everyone here wonders why 2000 and I always ask for newbie introductions and stuff.it seems like lately some of the guys here that were giving Tom and I crap are now saying things as well.hmmmmmm...
It was answered in the first reply; not sure what else was needed.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
If you really want to force the issue, you just make the all the sub-forums private except an introduction forum. Once a person posts, they get granted access to the rest of the site. This would take active moderation, but it's been done on many forums very successfully.

Might as well just do it right if you're going to do it. I'd even vote to implement that to get it over with lol.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
Make it so you can't post until the newbie post is done and I'm all in

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
It just makes it an easier transition for both the newbies and the regular forum users.the more info we have to help,the better the reply.as an example,how would you reply to this post?

"HELP!!!!!my bike onle revs to 5000 rpms and them stutters and struggles above that?"

you'd say"love to help but I need more info"Tom and I are not trying to be stuffy old bastards we just want to keep this site as easy as possible for all involved.its really not that complicated.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,501 Posts
Come on, it's "Brakes" not "Breaks".... it's even spelled out for you right in the title to this section "Wheels, Suspension and Brakes" LOL

And who are you juliejohn?
Interesting. Things that just make you sit and wonder. hmmmmmmmmm. Did I really read that first one correctly, comments on two different newbie posts at the same time. Hey Doc, we may have a new convert to our side. lol Glad I could find something to cause me to smile here today.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
I don't have a problem with sku750's thread. He asked a simple question...he also gave some info on his mechinical experience and asked for tips one replacing the brake pads.
Don't see how any more information would be needed from him.

Now if you click on juliejohn's profile and look at all of her/his posts, you'd wonder who the heck he/she is. Am guessing someone that doesn't even own a bike, and someone that sucks at geography (giving a name of a UK moving company to someone in the Midwest) might be a robot ..

There is however no way to MAKE a new member post an introduction (in the newbie section) without either altering the sites software, or having all the mods constantly police every post and poster. As of course being a mod here is a full time job... :confused:
And what are we to do? Delete someone's post asking for help because they didn't say "Howdy" first?

Here's my suggestion....I'm going to make oledirtrydoc The Official newbie cop. He will post in any thread started by a new member that hasn't posted an introduction first the same thing he did here:

"Welcome (insert name here) would you please do an introduction in the newbie section for us? We like to get to know people here so we can better help them.thank you."

The question to you all is what should I do if the person doesn't?

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
I don't have a problem with sku750's thread. He asked a simple question...he also gave some info on his mechinical experience and asked for tips one replacing the brake pads.
Don't see how any more information would be needed from him.

Now if you click on juliejohn's profile and look at all of her/his posts, you'd wonder who the heck he/she is. Am guessing someone that doesn't even own a bike, and someone that sucks at geography (giving a name of a UK moving company to someone in the Midwest) might be a robot ..

There is however no way to MAKE a new member post an introduction (in the newbie section) without either altering the sites software, or having all the mods constantly police every post and poster. As of course being a mod here is a full time job... :confused:
And what are we to do? Delete someone's post asking for help because they didn't say "Howdy" first?

Here's my suggestion....I'm going to make oledirtrydoc The Official newbie cop. He will post in any thread started by a new member that hasn't posted an introduction first the same thing he did here:

"Welcome (insert name here) would you please do an introduction in the newbie section for us? We like to get to know people here so we can better help them.thank you."

The question to you all is what should I do if the person doesn't?
KM honestly it would be super easy to do it as suggested. There is no 'altering the site's software'. It's vBulletin, it's made with permissions and groups in mind.

Make a Newbie Introduction forum. It has permissions for everyone to post.

You make a group (i.e. Permitted Members) and set post permissions to the rest of the sub-forums to that only.

Then any time someone makes a Newbie post a moderator just adds that user to the group. It takes little time, and since we have no more than a member or two a day joining at the most, it wouldn't take much to keep up.

In the end you'd have less spam posts and less moderation due to the opt-in nature of posting.

I could set it up in about 5 minutes, and maintain it with about 5 minutes per days worth of work. Happy to do it if nobody else is.

It's way better than Doc coming in every thread and poking at people to post, imo.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
KM honestly it would be super easy to do it as suggested. There is no 'altering the site's software'. It's vBulletin, it's made with permissions and groups in mind.

Make a Newbie Introduction forum. It has permissions for everyone to post.

You make a group (i.e. Permitted Members) and set post permissions to the rest of the sub-forums to that only.

Then any time someone makes a Newbie post a moderator just adds that user to the group. It takes little time, and since we have no more than a member or two a day joining at the most, it wouldn't take much to keep up.

In the end you'd have less spam posts and less moderation due to the opt-in nature of posting.

I could set it up in about 5 minutes, and maintain it with about 5 minutes per days worth of work. Happy to do it if nobody else is.

It's way better than Doc coming in every thread and poking at people to post, imo.
I had a dog named BINGO once...
And yes,other forums do it.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
As far as making? Asking might work a little better;)

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
Well, then the real question is, does anyone really care other than doc and vulcan2000?

I would think that such a thing should be supported by more than two members...I thought there was a thread about this awhile back and it seemed only a few thought it was a good idea....

And as this site is owned by someone else, I would guess we'd need to hear the administrators thoughts on this too....

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
Fine I'll ****ing give it a rest if no one else gives a rat's ass

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Well, then the real question is, does anyone really care other than doc and vulcan2000?

I would think that such a thing should be supported by more than two members...I thought there was a thread about this awhile back and it seemed only a few thought it was a good idea....

And as this site is owned by someone else, I would guess we'd need to hear the administrators thoughts on this too....
I personally only care because poking at people in threads seems out of place; if it stops that practice, and helps the forum assist the new members specifically, im all for it.

So about them brake pads, time to give em a break? :motorcycl

1 - 20 of 22 Posts