Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, wanted to pick your brain a bit. Just received my new Michelin Commander II,s yesterday and noticed the front tire had something of a glaze on it, like what happens to tires that have been sitting for years. I looked at the date code and they are over 2 years old! The rear tire does not have that glaze on it and feels softer. It's about a year old. My question is should I be concerned about this and possibly return at least the front tire for a newer one? These were very expensive tires (aprox $340 for both) from J&P Cycles and just want to make sure these tires already have some age on them before I even get them mounted. I have Never have purchased motorcycle tires before and really could use some advice from some veterans. Thank you for your time in advance!!

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
well, with a 2+ yr old date code, I myself would return and get a newer code. even with 0 miles and proper storage, while the tire may be perfectly safe, I dont want something that sat on the shelf for that long. I would go for under 1 yr old, less than 8 months preferred.

the glaze may be just the mold release agent, may not be.. the rear tire may be a softer compound (even in same model tire, they may use different front and rear compounds)

the fact you can read the date code shows your knowledgeable and concerned about the safety of the tire.

as a side note, not tire related: I had a new battery purchased from a major chain that was 2 yrs old when I got it (was only one they had, and I needed it right then). about a year and a half later I needed to replace it, and wouldn't you know it, on the shelf where the batteries where stored was one that was even OLDER than my originally purchased one! I told the clerk I was gonna check the date before I purchased it, he kinda balked a little but didnt stop me from opening the package and pulling it out. I then had to instruct him on how to read the date code so he could see what my issue was. I searched the shelf where it came from and found one less than 6 months old and took that one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply and advice! I think I'm going to return at least the front tire (hopefully the rear as well) and get something a bit newer. The only reason I checked the date code was because of how the front tire looked. Also, the trend was fairly hard for a brand new tire that has amazingly high reviews for great traction. The tires on my bike now are the OEM Dunlop's that my dad replaced a few years before he stopped riding it and then, this bike sat for over 5 years in his garage since he could no longer ride it safely. There is still decent tread on them, but the tread is very, very hard and anytime I take a turn with the slightest bit of gravel, the ass end of the bike gets squirrely. So that's why I ended up researching and getting new tires. Great grip is first and longevity is 2nd. Anyway, just bothers me that these "new" tires may not be as soft as what they should be with a fairly fresh set. Thank you again for the feedback!! I will post back soon with my RMA results.

·
Super Moderator
11,970 Posts
The rear is likely fine, but for what you paid I’d have them replace the front.

As for the “glaze” not really sure what that be, but it’s always recommended to “take it easy” after installing new tires until they scuff in some.
I’ve even heard of folks going over the tire tread with sandpaper. Most major motorcycle tire makers deny they use a “release agent” on their tires (specifically from Michelin) but never hurts to wipe them with soapy water. I don’t think the sandpaper is necessary.

·
Registered
245 Posts
The rear is likely fine, but for what you paid I’d have them replace the front.

As for the “glaze” not really sure what that be, but it’s always recommended to “take it easy” after installing new tires until they scuff in some.
I’ve even heard of folks going over the tire tread with sandpaper. Most major motorcycle tire makers deny they use a “release agent” on their tires (specifically from Michelin) but never hurts to wipe them with soapy water. I don’t think the sandpaper is necessary.
THIS. Tires can be a little slippery when first installed. Definitely clean the tread of any new motorcycle tires well before riding, then take it easy for the first several miles... and avoid laying it hard into a corner for while. Gradually scuff in the entire surface of the tire.

At 2 years old, the tires are likely just fine if they have been stored properly. (out of the heat, and out of direct sunlight)

Good Luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, got m RMA tire back and I'm so happy I sent it back. The replacement I received was just under a year old and it looked much newer. Didn't have that nasty, old glaze on it, and was softer too! Man, my bike rides completely different now! After about 150 miles ridden today to scuff them up, I can now take corners much, much faster and more confident then ever before!! Really liking these Michelin Commander II's. Plus, I got a size larger on the front and back so they look bad as as well!! Dident think I would get that rear tire squeezed in because it's so wide, but found out that if I left off the rear final drive, There is plenty of room to fit the tire in. Just have to mesh the two gears together and button up the 4 bolts that hold the final drive after the tire is slid in the middle. Also just installed some new ceramic front pads as well as changing the oil with Amsoil 10W40 Full Synthetic oil and a Genuine Kawasaki Filter. Thanks to all who help others in this forum! Couldn't have done all this without your help!

·
Registered
8,331 Posts
New shoes always feel good on a vehicle, well most of the time.

Never regretted going oversize on both tires. Now your speedometer is accurate.

Wonder if Commander II is the latest model? I went looking for Pilot Road III and there were none in my size. So I was thinking Pilot Road went obsolete.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, there are the Commander III's out now but they were almost 200 each, and I didn't care for the color of the tire. Looks like the sidewall is grey or silver in color. They have very close tread patterns to the Commander II's however.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts