Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I hit the front brake, I hear a buzzing noise in the front. Even if I barely touch the lever, it starts buzzing.

Sounds kinda like a fishing reel clicking real fast, it stops as soon as I let go of the lever, doesn't get louder if I brake harder, or vice versa.

I thought it could be the drilled rotors, but I never heard it before on other vehicles. Then I thought maybe a relay, but where and for what? The sound is coming from front and center, between the gauges and the wheel.

Admittedly, I haven't tried too hard to track this down yet, besides verifying it happens with front braking.

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
Every time I hit the front brake, I hear a buzzing noise in the front. Even if I barely touch the lever, it starts buzzing.

Sounds kinda like a fishing reel clicking real fast, it stops as soon as I let go of the lever, doesn't get louder if I brake harder, or vice versa.

I thought it could be the drilled rotors, but I never heard it before on other vehicles. Then I thought maybe a relay, but where and for what? The sound is coming from front and center, between the gauges and the wheel.

Admittedly, I haven't tried too hard to track this down yet, besides verifying it happens with front braking.
I get the same noise with my front brakes. They buzz when applied. I think it is normal as I have not had any issues using them.

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thanks. There's a x2, so maybe this is one of those quirks that wasn't known as being common, until now.

Anyone else have a buzz on their braking?

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Neither of my VN750s make the buzzing noise you describe. Sounds.. strange.

I just swapped brakes on my 86 and it didn't do it before, or after.

·
2,527 Posts
I've had this happen before then it went away. I always thought it was coming from around the master cylinder.

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
Might be hearing the throttle cable springs vibrate or the spring on the rad. cap.

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You'd think I would hear that all the time.

It starts doing it even if I touch the lever just enough to light the brake light. I can stop/start the noise at will with one finger.

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
You'd think I would hear that all the time.

It starts doing it even if I touch the lever just enough to light the brake light. I can stop/start the noise at will with one finger.
True. I dunno. Take the calipers off and inspect the pads? Dunno if pads for moto's have the wear indicator on them like auto pads.

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
X3 ,I get the same buzz. Never really checked into it as everything seems fine. Does not sound like rattling to me though, sounds electrical.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I have had this problem on both Vulcans ,the 750 and the 1500.I did some checking and found out that proper torque on the caliper mounting bolts will do away with it.Without torquing the bolts ,it is a hit or miss problem.it does not affect the brake performance either way.

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have to try torquing the bolts then, pads are good, just had the wheel off for the tire. I did drop one caliper for the job, maybe that started it, because I don't recall hearing it before then.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Torque all your bolts... it happened to me 100 miles from home (the buzzing) it was because my front axle nut fell off... it might be something loose. Kind of freaky not knowing how long I had been going 70 with no axle nut.

·
Registered
36 Posts
X4 Have the exact same noise.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
I did torque all my bolts when I did the front end so that does sound like a good place to start.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
I don't believe they are correct in reference to drilled rotors. If they were, then both of my 750s would do it.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
:):):) Read this thread title "Brakes with a Buzz" . . . what are your brakes drinkin' ? the good stuff I hope ! LOL ::p:p;)

...just had to say it LOL :smiley_th

1 - 18 of 18 Posts