Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just recently got this bike from my soon to be father in law and it has been sitting for a few years. I bled the brakes and all that and they worked fine but once u ride for a bit they start to drag really bad to where I cant even push the bike. Bled it to free them up and they work fine for a little but the it seems the more I use it the more it wants to drag. Do they need to be rebuilt/replaced?

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Sounds like the caliper holder shafts are not working freely. This will cause the brakes to bind,especially when warm.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Sounds like a collapsing brake hose, but I don't know how common this is on our bikes.

I know it's pretty common on cars/trucks.

If it releases when you open the bleeder, that's a pretty good sign that the hose could be collapsing inside. You can't usually see the collapsed spot, the only option is to replace the hose.

Automotive master cylinders can fail and hold pressure, but I've never seen it happen on a bike.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Sounds like the caliper holder shafts are not working freely. This will cause the brakes to bind,especially when warm.
First thing i would do:
Remove calipers, disassemble, completely clean/degrease, reassemble.

:smiley_th +1

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
If the caliper was hanging up on the bolts, I don't think opening the bleeder would release it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea I was gonna see if taking them apart and cleaning them might do the trick first and go from there. Just thought I would ask to see if anyone has ran into this problem before. Thanks fellas!

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Yea I was gonna see if taking them apart and cleaning them might do the trick first and go from there. Just thought I would ask to see if anyone has ran into this problem before. Thanks fellas!
Yeah, I had similar problem, I bled, ...and bled the brakes...finally disassembled / cleaned Calipers. Only then did the problem get resolved. About the same time, I also had a problem with the brake lever not returning completely, .....my brake light stayed on.
I discovered a tiny fluid/air return pinhole in the MC was blocked/plugged. After dis-assembly/cleaning of MC, problem resolved.
EDIT: You might consider cleaning both the calipers AND Master Cylinder, New Fluid, all in one shot.
hope this helps

:smiley_th +1

1 - 7 of 7 Posts