Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may have read my posts of the last couple days about the upgrades I'm doing to my 96. One of the big ones was to clean oout the brake system. The fluid was nice and brown. SO I fiugred in the process I'd upgrade my lines since I was tearing almost the entire front end down (minus the wheel) anyway. Everything is now reinstalled, galfer steel lines, new pads, new fluid. Problem is that the system won't prime. NO matter how many times I pump the brake lever, fluid is not getting to the calipers. In fact, I don't know that it's leaving the master cylinder. I cleaned everything very thoroughly, and even tried blowing air through from the banjo bolt side and things looked fine. Still no brakes. Anyone have any thought on how to get some pressure going? I checked the verses and found plenty of references to bleeding and even one post where someone else had no brakes, but no real tips or tricks. Any thoughts are GREATLY appreciated. I would prefer that the bike never sees the dealer again....

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
What I have read here. Tie your brake lever open and open the caliper air bleeds and fill the master cylinder let it run down on it's own, but do not let it run dry. It will take a good while.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
MC cover off for the self bleeding.

A couple things you can try. If you have a mighty vac, empty the master cylinder and force brake fluid in the slave until it comes up in the master cylinder (cover off).

If you don't have a mighty vac, you need to "bench bleed" your master cylinder. Remove the brake line from the master cylinder and hold your thumb over the output while pumping the brake lever. Once you get brake fluid with pressure with your thumb, quickly put on the brake line again and continue bleeding. Another place for air to get trapped where it will not come out easily is at the junction below the horns.

Painted surfaces and brake fluid do not get along so have plenty of plastic bags (I use leaf bags) and rags.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts