Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Into the Darkness
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got a little bit of a problem and don't know how this happened. Well when I went to put the front tire back on the forks it went on without any problems. Then I went to put the brake calipers back on and the right one no problems at all, but the left one was a huge struggle to get back on there. I got it in place, but the tire will not move at all. So I have no idea what may have happened here. I removed the rotors and everything so I could give that front rim a paint job. Any ideas on how to fix this would be great. Thank you for the help everyone.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
release the bleeder screw for said calliper, then press the piston back inside the caliper. reinstall the caliper to the rotor. bleed the system. Just as you would do for a car.

·
Registered
796 Posts
X2 What slim said. Also you might want to check if the rotor is on the rim correctly. It could be tweaked just enough to be binding. I've never had mine off so this could be a shot in the dark but it may have to be put back on exactly the way it came off. ie....The bolt pattern could be specific or you might have flipped the rotor so the side that was facing out is now facing in. Like I said it is a shot in the dark here. When something wears a certain way and then altered or flipped it could create problems.

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
Have never done the bike's front brakes, but on the cage I use a C-clamp and block of wood to fully depress the piston back into its housing. Have to be careful you don't overflow the master cylinder when doing this. Is this procedure practical for the Vulcan?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have had both front calipers off my by recently to break them down and clean them. The PO didn't change the brake fluid often enough. The easiest way to push the piston back is to open the bleeder valve and press the piston with a C-clamp. Don't break the calipers down unless you have new seals I used the Clymers manual to disassemble them completely and clean them. If you do disassemble them and you remove the piston from the housing take extreme caution if you use compressed air to remove the piston. The first time I did this I shot the piston out of the caliper like a bullet. The Clymers manual is a priceless tool when combined with the experience from the people on this forum.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Have never done the bike's front brakes, but on the cage I use a C-clamp and block of wood to fully depress the piston back into its housing. Have to be careful you don't overflow the master cylinder when doing this. Is this procedure practical for the Vulcan?
It is the same as doing it on a cage. This is the method I used when replacing the front pads. Just leave the pad on the piston and go slow and steady with the C clamp and there is no threat of overflowing the master where the system only holds a certain amount. (Unless you have topped off the master prior to replacing the pads) ie...When the pads are down, more fluid goes to the caliper and then when replacing the pads the fluid goes back to the master.

·
Into the Darkness
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I'm feeling about silly right now. I took that caliper off the left side and well the rear pad I reinstalled upside down. That's what was causing the problem. The tire spins freely now which is really nice. I should have paid better attention when putting the front end back together, but sometimes you get in a hurry to do things.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Hey it happens to the best of us. The 1st time I removed the front tire, when putting it back on I put the spacer on backwards which bound up the wheel.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Hey it happens to the best of us. The 1st time I removed the front tire, when putting it back on I put the spacer on backwards which bound up the wheel.
I thought I made a mistake once, but I was wrong! LOL:doh:

·
Registered
796 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts