Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it looks as if I need new brake pads. Any suggestions on brands and where to get new ones? Thanks again.

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
I got the green Kevlar ones from Cyclebrakes.com. Customer service was fantastic.
EDIT - DUH! And they work great. Unfortunately I also upgraded to stainless brake lines at the same time so no comparo between the new pads and how it stopped before.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'll cast my vote for the EBC organic pads...good value and quality. got mine from Denniskirk.com

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
I believe it was because if you seat them incorrectly you could seriously fark up your rotors. I was very gentle....

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
..I don't think you should use Kevlar pads on the front...can't remember the reason though..)
KM
OK...Strike that..I just remembered the "deal" here.

You should only use Kevlar/composite/ceramic/organic pads in front if you also use them on the rear.

What you do not want to do is use sintered/metal pads on the rear and organic (kevlar -composite) pads on the front.

Considering the fact that we have duel discs (stainless ones) and a drum on the rear...not a big issue , but I would not use sintered metal pads on the front anyway..given the amount of folks wiping out by locking the front tire...

Organic and Kevlar are simular here...so is ceramic...Metal pads have metal in them..(duh) and are more prone to overheating. They tend not to give as progressive a feel as the organic pads...

Sorry for my brain freeze on this...

KM

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
You dont need any high end brake pads. Your riding a small cruiser, not a race bike.
I'd have to qualify that by saying it is not the price of the pad, but it's intended use.

Brake pads for racing are designed to work better AFTER they get real hot. On a track this is a good thing...on the street a bad thing. So do not buy "racing" pads or "high performance motorcycle" pads as these are not intended for casual street riding, and can actualy give poorer performance in your bike than the "standard" pads.

KM

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
I know this thread is a couple weeks old now, but my question relates to a few posts here....

As I shopped for pads myself today, I browsed relevant threads here, and looked around online. A few posts here mention "organic" pads, and "kevlar" pads. There's also a post or two suggests using the organic rather than kevlar, and the reasoning behind it.

Anyway, when I looked up pads at Ron Ayers, (they only sell EBC btw, other than the Kawi Factory stuff; whatever those are), the heading over the pads charts/pricing says this:

The world's #1 selling organic disc brake pads .Made with DuPont Kevlar. Provide excellent stopping power without noise and rotor galling, even on polished rotors. Fingertip control and strong, predictable brake response
Organic pads made with kevlar? And these pads list that FA85 part number for our bikes.

So in shopping for pads, is it recommended to try and find some other kind of organic pads? I don't understand the contradiction here.

Are there pads made of nothing but kevlar?

And going by what I've read here, using these pads on the front would be fine, as long as the same type of shoe is used in the back right?

Could somebody in the "know" shed some light for me please? :confused:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts