Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While riding this evening, I noticed some slight noise coming from the front brakes - when they are applied. Sounds like a slight scraping.

An inspection - by flashlight in a parking lot - looked like the pads aren't fully releasing from the discs.

How much of a gap should I see between pad and disc when they aren't applied?

Thanks in advance for any assistance and advice!

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
you wont see a gap. they rest against the rotors best thing is to take the pads out and put high temp synthetic brake grease. on the back of the pad, and where the pad contacts the caliper bracket.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
How old is your fluid? My bet is it's time for a brake line flush and new brake fluid.

DT

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now today, no noises. Will see how it goes. Ordered a set of SpeedBleeders and will tend to that when they arrive. The odo has but 8,200 clicks.

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
Age has a lot to do with how long brake fluid lasts. If you'll put your bike info in your signature, we won't have to ask what model it is.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Age has a lot to do with how long brake fluid lasts......
The real issue is not age, but moisture. Regular glycol based brake fluid (dot 3 or 4) is hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs moisture. That moisture lowers the fluid's boiling point resulting in bad performance, discolor it and cause corrosion inside the brake system. Synthetic brand fluids claim not to be hygroscopic, but they too become contaminated over time and need to be flushed. That's why brake systems should be flushed every two years.

p.s. Good choice on the Speed Bleeders, great product!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts