Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two questions - does anyone know what to expect for brake life (front and back)? I've got 25K on the bike and have adjusted the back brakes twice. Yes- only twice.

The other question - sometimes when I'm toolin' around town and stopping, the front brake gets "sticky" - I pull the lever, and only when it's to a certain point do the brakes kick in. Only happens when stopping, not slowing (at least as far as I can tell). Anybody experience the same? I've never changed the fluid nor had the lid off.

·
Super Moderator
11,866 Posts
Rear brakes normaly last a long time, and you should be able to see the wear on the front brakes simply by looking at the pads. If you adjusted the rear 2 times..(but did not say how long you had the bike) , It might be a good idea to take off the wheel and examine the shoes.

You definitely need to change the brake fluid and bleed the brakes in front...(and replace the pads if needed)

As far as how long each lasts, this is completely dependent on how the bike is ridden. 25k sounds like a good point to look at both brakes closely.

KM

·
CWO3 Navy (Retired)
722 Posts
Get a set of Speed Bleeders, it makes changing the fluid and bleeding the front brakes so easy. I've done it about 4 times over the last week while trying to solve my seize problem and believe me they've paid for themselves at least 4 times over. Cyclebrakes.com has them cheaper than Speed Bleeders does.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
With a 2000 and no brake fluid changes you are about 4 changes over due and most likely your calipers need a good cleaning too.

Quick easy test is to look at the fluid in your sight glass on the master cyclinder, if it is murky of any color other then amber it needs changing.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dianna. I didn't realize that we were supposed to change the fluid!

Can someone point me to a brake fluid replacing & bleeding procedure?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts