Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to adjust the brake lever like you can the clutch lever? I have small hands and can't cover the front brake and hold the throttle at the same time.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
As it's hydraulic, there is no adjustment that I know of. I have small hands for a guy and I don't even attempt to keep throttle on if I use the front brakes. I use the rear for hill starts and the like.

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
No adjustment on Front brake because..

Front brake disc and disc pad wear are automatically compensated for and
have no effect on brake lever action. There are no parts that require
adjustment on the front disc brake.

Just had Lena in for her 500 mile check up and the dealer's shop found nothing out of the ordinary on the bike, but now my Clutch is messed up and when engaging the Clutch (letting it out) it doesn't start to grab until
it is almost all the way out.. Never trust a dealership mechanic!

Didn't notice the messed up Clutch adjustment when riding it home from the dealership...sounds like something got stretched out of adjustment from not locking it down. Should be able to fix it myself...?

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Norsseman,

There are 2 adjustment points for the clutch. One is at the lever and the other is about half way down the down tube on the frame. It looks like an elongated black nut. Chances are the mech knocked it out of its holder or otherwise fouled it up. Chances are you will only need to check this point and adjust whatever the dealer hosed up.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks like the brake lever is bent down a bit. How hard is it to change it out seeing how it is hydraulic?

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Maybe try a Throttle Rocker Kait.
The picture on the website shows it mounted on the outside of the grip, but I prefer to have mine on the inside.
It may take some getting used to, but holding the front brake and giving some gas at the same time is little easier (for me atleast) because I can now use my thumb to give it a 'twist' .

I should note, the website has the Throttle Rocker 2, which is held inplace with a velcro strap. I have the original, which mounts a little differently, but the T.R. 2 should still work the same way.

Changing the lever is alot easier than doing the clutch lever, seeing as there is no cable to deal with. Ya should just need to remove the bolt & replace

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Kait, the only suggestion I have (besides something smart-ass) is to do like Hyper does, and put a leather cover over the lever. He apparently deleted his pics of the chatterbox that happened to have the laced leather lever covers, or I would have linked to it. He had an incident when younger with a lawn mower, and the leather helps him grab the lever.

laced leather lever cover link, laced leather lever cover link, laced leather lever cover link... OK? Now say it faster!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cegodsey... and I was so hoping for a smart-ass remark... I didn't scare you away with the talk about my pals in SF did I?

Thanks Hyper, I may try the TR2. I mostly just want it for safety reasons. I always read about covering your front brake in traffic, and if I do that, I am going to get hit in the [email protected]@ from the rapid deceleration!

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
cegodsey said:
Kait, the only suggestion I have (besides something smart-ass) is to do like Hyper does, and put a leather cover over the lever. He apparently deleted his pics of the chatterbox that happened to have the laced leather lever covers, or I would have linked to it. He had an incident when younger with a lawn mower, and the leather helps him grab the lever.

laced leather lever cover link, laced leather lever cover link, laced leather lever cover link... OK? Now say it faster!
The leather covers certainly help me with grip on the levers.
Here's the pic (I reloaded it for this post).

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hyper, that looks really good. Did you do it on both sides even though you only need it on one?

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
SkY,

Thanks, I can see how that could have been the problem, but it must have
been the way the kid adjusted the Clutch on the handlebar. Will make that
job one after work tomorrow.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
kait said:
Hyper, that looks really good. Did you do it on both sides even though you only need it on one?
Yeah, I did it to both. The other advantage is, ya don't get black fingers if you're not wearing gloves!
It doesn't help much for reach as much as for grip.
Even with wet hands, there's alot less of a chance of slipping off the levers now.You can see how I wrapped the leather strap around the covers too, instead of just through the holes. Even better grip!
There's plenty of them on ebay, usually about $11 total. I got mine at a fleamarket. Most seem to have the fringe, which I don't care for. But that's easily trimmable.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Heres a thought remember its just a thought.Go to a hardware store and see if they have a small U bolt the thread diameter would have to be small about 1/8th inch you would need 4 nuts one on the outside of lever and one on the inside of lever.You would have to drill 2 small holes in the lever so the ends of the U bolt can slide in to the holes put 2 nuts on the U bolt first.When you put the Ubolt in the lever the threaded part will be sticking out then install the other 2 nuts and tighten them down that it will give you a loop to grab onto. JUST A THOUGHT..

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hmmmmmm.... I will think about that.... not for long, but I will think about it!

·
Premium Member
382 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
26 bucks for the adj. YIKES... I will make do with what I have for now.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, those are the ones they want 26 bucks each for .... not in my budget. I paid 3$ for the ones I just replaced.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
i'd save up and take the plunge on adjustables.

i'm pretty good with stock for now but ccspiner's (non udjustables) levers felt very nice and had a side effect of looking good. hmmm... another thing to look into

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
tankist said:
i'd save up and take the plunge on adjustables.

i'm pretty good with stock for now but ccspiner's (non udjustables) levers felt very nice and had a side effect of looking good. hmmm... another thing to look into
One small note.. ONLY the brake lever is adjustable. I have yet to find a clutch lever that has the dial up adjustments. I believe you can buy just the brake lever seperate also.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts