Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just noticed that after a few weeks of riding that my brake handle has gotten loose, to the point that at highway speeds, it is pushed in enough to activate the brake light.

Looking in the books (Kawi maint and Clymer's), it looks like there is a spring, piston assembly, and a stopper and sheath. I'm suspecting the spring, but before I take it apart to check, this assemebly looks as if it is self-contained. Do I need to remove the master cylinder and drain the system to get to it?

Is the spring a fairly common item to go bad on this? Note that this is the old-style assembly.

Thanks,
--Storm

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
This is the first I've heard of it.
When was the brake system last flushed? The brake fluid does go bad especially if it sits out in the rain and such. Water seems to get into the system no matter what. I'd try a complete flush and refill with all new, clean brake fluid and see if it just isn't gummed up.
If that doesn't work, then I'd look at the spring assembly.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The spring and plunger are sold as an assembly by Kawasaki. I just replaced mine last week. The spring had compressed about 1/4 inch or more and was no longer long enough(strong enough) to return the brake handle to the fully released position. Yes you have to remove the brake fluid from the master cylinder to replace this. The assy is about $40 something from Kawasaki. You probably could find a spring if thats all you wanted to replace but on my '86 I was glad I replaced the plunger as well because the fluid was pretty gunked up and I would be suspect of the seals on the plunger because of that and the age. Easy job though.
cheman

1 - 3 of 3 Posts