Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I recently replaced the OEM reservoir cap with a chrome one and it's started leaking really badly. It wasn't leaking with the original but now it's seeping out to the point where I may have to add more fluid now. The Diaphragm looks to be in good condition, and it's tightened as tight as it'll go, so I'm not sure what the issue is. Considering just filling the bastard up with RTV...

·
Registered
815 Posts
Where the heck do you get such a niche custom product? The cap might not be sealing the diaphragm. I would say put the stock cap back on?

·
Registered
815 Posts
While that is pretty cool looking, losing brake fluid is WAY more important than lookin' nice. Shame that it didn't really work out for you...

·
Registered
8,437 Posts
Was about to say... Silicone won't end well.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I wasn't really going to use RTV, but it is upsetting that this cap for some reason won't work, despite it being the exact same shape underneath as the OEM. I don't get it. The leak was fixed by using the original cap but now i have to top off the fluid again. it leaked it all out into god knows where. returning the POS i got from ebay. from what it looked like, the Chrome cap's weephole tunnels were much wider than the OEM, so the gasket didn't seal the entire thing up. Makes a fair amount of sense honestly.

EDIT: Hold on, is the original diaphragm/gasket completely flat where the screws go usually, then is warped to fill the weephole channels? If that's the case, then I'm just an idiot for not using a new gasket.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts