Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen some of the Concours people upgrade their brake calipers on their front brakes. The brakes look 100% identical to ours (single piston).

Somebody made some brackets to adapt a 4 piston caliber from a zx6e. I'm impressed and interested...

Stock Caliper (looks like ours)

Upgraded:

Thread on one of their forums: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=657.0

Thoughts?

·
R/R = Relocated Redneck
628 Posts
Where there's a will there's a way. Lots of potential issues though:

Would our master cylinder be sufficient for this type of application?

Would it work with our rotors?

Would we need dental work after grabbing the handle a little hard? :)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
856 Posts
Where there's a will there's a way. Lots of potential issues though:

Would our master cylinder be sufficient for this type of application?

Would it work with our rotors?

Would we need dental work after grabbing the handle a little hard? :)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
If I were to go this far to put these "upgraded" calipers on, I'd also go the extra step to put on a matching Master Cylinder, assuming of course that it fit the diameter of the handle bars.

I'd be most worried about them working with the rotors.

The increased braking power would be a concern as well. These bike already have impressive breaking power and can lock the front wheel easily enough as it.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
If I were to go this far to put these "upgraded" calipers on, I'd also go the extra step to put on a matching Master Cylinder, assuming of course that it fit the diameter of the handle bars.

I'd be most worried about them working with the rotors.

The increased braking power would be a concern as well. These bike already have impressive breaking power and can lock the front wheel easily enough as it.
My first concern would be with the stock master cylinder not being able to handle the upgraded calipers too. My other concern is that once you start replacing things, you may end up having to replace the calipers, the rotors, the MC, the brake lever because the stock one doesn't work with the upgraded MC, then the clutch lever because the stock one doesn't match the upgraded brake lever, and on and on. :)

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
don't you guys have dual rotors in the front? I thought the 750's were already pretty good at front brakes, just wondering

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
don't you guys have dual rotors in the front? I thought the 750's were already pretty good at front brakes, just wondering
Yes, dual disc brakes up front on a 490# bike that work very well.

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
^yep. I think doing this is just overkill. As you're not installing better brakes, just adding more brakes. I can see doing this on a (older)Concours, it's a bigger heavier and faster bike with a wider front tire.
On the Vulcan the stock set up is already pretty good, many think its already an "overkill".
However, the stock master cylinder would be fine with doing this, as you're likely still pushing the same amount of fluid the same distance.

Now if you could install newer technology - larger diameter discs and high end (Brembo) caliphers that be nice...

I'd rather someone figure out how to put a disc brake in the rear..

·
R/R = Relocated Redneck
628 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
I'm interested as to what you think is wrong with the drum brake on the back? I don't need more braking than the drum provides, it doesn't seize up with the salt from the roads in the winter, it doesn't need fluid changing/topping up/bleeding, no hoses to perish. It is a lot easier to clean and service. Front brake, yes, disc brake every time for max stopping power and almost no brake fade. So what have I missed ?

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To be honest, I'm suprised everyone here is so pleased with a 30 year old braking system.

The difference between the newer calipers is not just more power, but better distribution of pressure over the entire brake pad. While the Vulcan has "decent" brakes, I would not even put them in the same league as my FZ6's 2 pot calipers. (the bikes weigh similarly)

I'll probably just contact the Concours guys and see if the mounting is identical on their forks (it looks like it). If so, I'll probably order a set of brackets. a pair of calipers, and give it a shot.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
To be honest, I'm suprised everyone here is so pleased with a 30 year old braking system.

The difference between the newer calipers is not just more power, but better distribution of pressure over the entire brake pad. While the Vulcan has "decent" brakes, I would not even put them in the same league as my FZ6's 2 pot calipers. (the bikes weigh similarly)

I'll probably just contact the Concours guys and see if the mounting is identical on their forks (it looks like it). If so, I'll probably order a set of brackets. a pair of calipers, and give it a shot.
I have an 800 drifter, single disc in front, but also has rear disc, it stops just dandy.

If you lock up the front tire, it is nearly impossible to control. Sometimes what happens is the driver goes arse over elbows if they grab a hand full of brake on a bike with too much braking power and enough traction.

I have not really put the 750 through any brake 'paces' but if it is better then the single disc 800 I have then it should be fine. in my opinion of course.

kenny

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
I'm interested as to what you think is wrong with the drum brake on the back? I don't need more braking than the drum provides, it doesn't seize up with the salt from the roads in the winter, it doesn't need fluid changing/topping up/bleeding, no hoses to perish. It is a lot easier to clean and service. Front brake, yes, disc brake every time for max stopping power and almost no brake fade. So what have I missed ?
Drum brakes can work, but they are not as efficiant. They weigh more ...adding unsprung weight to the bike. Being enclosed, they don't cool down as fast.

On the Vulcsn, I'll tell you right now each bike I've been on the rear brake was very different. Brand new they are almost useless, it takes a few thousand miles it seems for them to "bed in" on this bike. Drums fill with brake dust and alter braking power.
Paraphrasing Tanner....I'm surprised you like a 70 year old breakng technology.....;)
Yes the drum brake can work OK... But do to its mechinics it requires a longer lever and a long travel to achieve full braking. A hydraulic system gives you less travel and effort with more consistent braking.

And if you have ever have been lucky to have a bike with ABS...:) ...which isn't found on drum brake equipped bikes.....

So ......we are talking about the difference here between "adaquite" and "excellent". The Vulcans rear drum can work OK....but I'd rather have "better" given a choice...;)

·
Registered
442 Posts
Yes I agree it is old technology, but my point was more that (on mine anyway) it works as well as I need a back brake to work. The rear disk brake on my 91 Triumph is very weak in comparison although it is in tiptop condition. I also have an FJ1200A so I do appreciate antilock. I just don't subscribe to change for changes sake unless in the real world I'm going to get some benefit. I agree that the front brake is a different matter. You need to remember I also ride on old Ariel single with the appalling full width alloy drums, shutting the throttle produces more retardation than pulling the brake lever. True antilock under any conditions! All interesting stuff!!

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
Unfortunately, putting a rear disc brake on the Vulcan would be an expensive and complex undertaking. You'd have to get a whole new wheel to make the switch worthwhile .... And....You'd have to find one you could adapt to its shaft drive....or covert the motor to chain or belt.
Cheaper just to get a diffrent bike....

The only thing I miss from "old" motorcycles you don't see anymore on new street bikes is......the kickstarter. ;)

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I never drove a bike with anti lock, if it is like any of the 4 wheel automobiles that I have driven with anti lock, I wouldn't want to.

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
I never drove a bike with anti lock, if it is like any of the 4 wheel automobiles that I have driven with anti lock, I wouldn't want to.
No comparison. ABS on a modern bike is fairly invisable to the rider. I tried like hell to trigger mine on my FJR and found it hard to do on a dry road. But get on something slick and that's where the advantage of having ABS on a bike shines.

I can think of almost a dozen "accidents" reported here that never would have happened if the Vulcan had ABS.....

·
Registered
442 Posts
Anti lock saved me twice, big roundabout car to the left of me pulls right across me on a wet road. Jammed the anchors on without thinking, just pure reaction, road was wet and the antilock saved me. Yes I know all about cadence braking etc. etc. Sometimes you just get caught out. Second time a bloke on a bicycle just rode straight out in front of me, again on a wet road. I guess it saved him too. I'm not a perfect rider, and it has saved me twice now in the 19 years I've had the bike.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts