Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi so I just got a Vulcan and the brakes are shot so I’m replacing the calipers would it be better to buy the same oem ones or just to buy some new aftermarket calipers I’m thinking just buy new ones so they’re a little more reliable but I don’t know. if new ones are the way to go which ones should I get

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By “shot” you mean what? Normally you just need to replace the brake shoes and clean the calipers. Also you could replace the hoses, and clean the master cylinder. (And replace the fluid obviously)
What makes you think the calipers are bad?
Pretty much I’m thinking they are because I cleaned the master cylinder and caliper and got some new hoses as well as new fluid and bled it but after everything when I pull the brake lever the brakes go out but never come in I’m thinking it’s because the pistons have some rust on the edges but I don’t know what else because everything else seems to be fine

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rust on the edges is common. Good Cleanung after using some fine sandpaper on them usually does the trick 👍
I already tried it got rid of most of it but for some reason it still won’t retract back in unless I force it back In by removing it could it be anything else or should I just get new oem or aftermarket ones

·
Registered
10,059 Posts
I already tried it got rid of most of it but for some reason it still won’t retract back in unless I force it back In by removing it could it be anything else or should I just get new oem or aftermarket ones
The caliper piston can get corroded and cause it to stick. There also a tiny fluid return hole inside the master cylinder reservoir, if it gets clogged the brakes will stick.

So the brakes work and have good pressure but are sticking?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The caliper piston can get corroded and cause it to stick. There also a tiny fluid return hole inside the master cylinder reservoir, if it gets clogged the brakes will stick.

So the brakes work and have good pressure but are sticking?
Yeah the cylinder works is cleaned as well as new hoses and I’ve disassembled and cleaned out the calipers and pistons and remove as much rust as possible but I don’t know what could be the issue because it is still sticking as soon as it goes out it doesn’t go back in unless forced

·
Registered
10,059 Posts
Yeah the cylinder works is cleaned as well as new hoses and I’ve disassembled and cleaned out the calipers and pistons and remove as much rust as possible but I don’t know what could be the issue because it is still sticking as soon as it goes out it doesn’t go back in unless forced
Did you take the pistons out of the caliper and rebuild it, or just cleaned the caliper on the outside?

If not, it's probably dirt and corrosion and dirt inside on the piston and cylinder wall.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you take the pistons out of the caliper and rebuild it, or just cleaned the caliper on the outside?

If not, it's probably dirt and corrosion and dirt inside on the piston and cylinder wall.
Yeah I took the piston out and cleaned off the corrosion and dirt on the inside as well as cleaning of all the residue from inside the plastic piece inside the piston

·
Registered
10,059 Posts
Yeah I took the piston out and cleaned off the corrosion and dirt on the inside as well as cleaning of all the residue from inside the plastic piece inside the piston
If you squeeze the lever slowly, with the top off the master cylinder, then release quickly, can you see the fluid coming out of the return hole?

You got new hoses or used?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you squeeze the lever slowly, with the top off the master cylinder, then release quickly, can you see the fluid coming out of the return hole?

You got new hoses or used?
i haven’t checked but I’ll see thanks and they’re new if the bubbles don’t come out would it be the cylinder

·
Registered
10,059 Posts
i haven’t checked but I’ll see thanks and they’re new if the bubbles don’t come out would it be the cylinder
You shouldn't see bubbles if all the air was bled out, but you'll see the fluid squirting out of the hole. Might have to lower the fluid level, but you should be able to see movement in the fluid.

It's a really small hole near the bottom.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You shouldn't see bubbles if all the air was bled out, but you'll see the fluid squirting out of the hole. Might have to lower the fluid level, but you should be able to see movement in the fluid.

It's a really small hole near the bottom.
Yeah no bubbles I bled it I haven’t check to see if fluid comes out if it doesn’t would it be a problem with the master cylinder

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi so I just got a Vulcan and the brakes are shot so I’m replacing the calipers would it be better to buy the same oem ones or just to buy some new aftermarket calipers I’m thinking just buy new ones so they’re a little more reliable but I don’t know. if new ones are the way to go which ones should I get
I got aftermarket working great!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts