Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
FastHamFreddy
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

And let me start by thanking this site and its members! I have been looking at a 1986 VN750 on craigslist and pulled the trigger today!

From what I can tell I got a good deal, however if anyone can give some feedback it may just confirm it for me. haha.

The picture shows my new ride. A 1986 VN750 I got for $800.00 (delivered). She is very clean, a few dings here or there, but cant complain! She runs GREAT! She needs a new battery (which if anyone can help me out would be perfect on a good battery to look at that doesn't break the bank).

I plan on making some changes to her. She is currently bone stock and have a few ideas already.

If possible let me know your thoughts (did I get a good deal, how she looks, I take compliments! haha, also if I can get some feedback on a battery that would be great!)

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Looks nice......imho anything that runs and rides 4 under a 1000 bucks is a steal not a deal.Alot of great info on this site. Start w/ the verses

·
'03 VN750 "Rosie"
227 Posts
Get an AGM (glass mat) maintenance free battery. I took my old one to an Interstate Battery outlet in my town and they matched up the configuration. It'll cost 90 bucks or so but its worth it as a bad battery will shorten the life of the rest of your electrical system. You can find several other brands by searching this site.

Do the spline lube procedure, whether you think you need it or not. You'll learn a lot about your bike.

Take a safety course from MSF.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,225 Posts
Read the Vulcan verses.lots of info there.x2 on the AGM battery and welcome to the nuthouse. These bikes are losta fun.enjoy the addiction.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Spline lube should be done ASAP without fail. I put mine off until it was almost too late. Many of these bikes left the factory with no grease on the splines. It's not hard to do and may keep you from being stranded with a bike that makes noise but no motion. The VN 750 is a great bike, fun to ride with docile handling characteristics. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Welcome to the hood.:rockon: Just keep in mind that it's a 29 year old bike and with that comes 29 years of wear and tear. Looks good no doubt. The problem being the "needs a new battery", usually is the sells man pitch for the charging system has problems. Test the voltage at the battery with the rpm's up above 2000 and see if it's putting out above 13.7 volts. If so, yep, needs a battery. If not, it's 'well shizt'.
Also, check the air filters to make sure they are not dry rotted. That is one of the most over looked things when a bike is running good.

·
FastHamFreddy
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All is much appreciated! I will check the voltage tonight, hopefully I did not buy a lemon. Also I found a thread on how to do a spline lube, or how to replace one if need be. Does not seem too hard, and what fun is it if I don't spend countless hours working on it! haha.

I will let you know what the voltage reading says. What do I need to look into if I am not getting any voltage? Or what would I need to look into replacing? Also will check the air filters while I am at it.

I will also get to the tearing down to lube the spline, may not be until Sunday, but I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the input and feedback! It is all much appreciated!

Cheers!

·
Registered
277 Posts
If the voltage isn't at 13.7 or higher, you'll most likely need to replace the stator and/or the voltage regulator/rectifier... I had to so that on my vn750 right off the bat, because of a "bad battery" :)

Doing the stator right will require an engine pull...

Let us know what the voltage readings are at the battery terminals at idle 1100-1200rpm, and at 2000rpm, and 3500rpm...

·
FastHamFreddy
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh man, now the suspense is killing me! haha,

Once I read it was a liquid battery and the kid I bought it from said it was a cheap one I just figured it added up. He said the battery was a couple years old. I am about to take a half day... haha!

I will let everyone know! I appreciate the help!

Cheers!

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,225 Posts
Hopefully it's the battery. Welcome she's quite the looker

·
FastHamFreddy
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got a good reeding! 13.7 or so. Happy to see that! draining and changing out the oil this weekend, and if I have time lubing up the spline.

Also any feedback would be helpful, there is a ticking or rattling that comes and goes as it runs. Thinking the time g belt, any other ideas? I know it's hard to tell without hearing. I'll post a video on YouTube and post it if I have time.

Can't be more excited about it being the battery though! Thanks for the heads up!

Cheers.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,225 Posts
Look up the Grambo trick to tell if your automatic cam chain tensionors (ACCT)are shot.Can buy or make manuel ones.

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,501 Posts
Cam chain tensioners are a normal problem with these bikes so do a search and find some threads that discuss that. Very easy switch out once you decide on the method you will go to correct the problem whether you make a set yourself and purchase.

Welcome and let us know a little more about your riding and wrenching experience. It helps when we give advice. Most times we don't try to insult with how to correct problems but every so often the comments may get too basic or not basic enough for some. Remember that this bike has been out of production for some time now and even while it wasn't the after market supply of parts was not very large. Therefor many here have had to modify what they want to add on or make it completely from scratch. Just another little challenge to owning a Vulcan 750.

·
FastHamFreddy
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys, I will definitely look that up! My experience on bikes is limited. As in, the first time I turned a bolt on one was yesterday. Haha. However I have worked on my car whenever it needs fixing and figure I can do the same with the bike.

I grew up joy riding dirt bikes off and on, and I havery rode motorcycles before just not in extent. I will be taking one of those courses once the weather is nice (I am in ohio).

Not to worry though I am a simple minded fool who asks the occasional dumb question, so if you see me doing it you are more than welcome to call me out on it ! Haha

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,225 Posts
Cool.you've got a few fellow Buckeye's near you

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,225 Posts
It's even better when ya got a state or two between ya.;)

·
2,501 Posts
Thanks guys, I will definitely look that up! My experience on bikes is limited. As in, the first time I turned a bolt on one was yesterday. Haha. However I have worked on my car whenever it needs fixing and figure I can do the same with the bike.

I grew up joy riding dirt bikes off and on, and I havery rode motorcycles before just not in extent. I will be taking one of those courses once the weather is nice (I am in ohio).

Not to worry though I am a simple minded fool who asks the occasional dumb question, so if you see me doing it you are more than welcome to call me out on it ! Haha
Now that you have told us you have limited experience wrenching on the bike we will take it easy on you. Sometimes we get newbies here that think they know everything about all motorcycles and this particular one has a few things that seem to be unique about them. You are more than allowed to ask any question you like just be sure that when you hear several different answers it is up to you to make the final choice as to what to do.

Good luck and welcome again.

·
2,501 Posts
Is that a good thing?:)
It is all a matter of opinion and whether you like Buckeyes or not. lol They seem to be a good bunch of people and they do try to ride together when possible so if you like that have at it. I am sure they will comment soon.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,225 Posts
It is all a matter of opinion and whether you like Buckeyes or not. lol They seem to be a good bunch of people and they do try to ride together when possible so if you like that have at it. I am sure they will comment soon.
Yeah they're all right

1 - 20 of 25 Posts