Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
aka Smokymtnvulcan
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished about a thirty mile run and pulled into a store for cigarettes. When I cranked up and eased through parking lot traffic, I heard this squealing noise, like a throw out bearing makes when it's going bad. Seemed to be coming from left side vicinity of the kick stand. I've looked and can't see anything amiss. As I was parking in my carport, I removed my helmet and could hear the noise coming from location as before. Any thoughts as to what it is. I've looked through forum and can't find anything similar!

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Haven't found any rubber chunks on the oil screen, have you? That's where the balancer wants to come out of the case when the dampers fail.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Haven't found any rubber chunks on the oil screen, have you? That's where the balancer wants to come out of the case when the dampers fail.
That is the same thought I had while reading the OP.

Here is a link to roach`s video where you can see the balancer and balancer gear location at the front of the engine case.
The view of the engine starts at about the 45 second mark of the video, and removal of the balancer gear at about 2 minutes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK7uDj2Xo6s

It should help you visualize better what is under the outer case cover in the area where the noise is originating.

Table of contents for all roach`s engine rebuild vids on Youtube:
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18289

·
aka Smokymtnvulcan
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks boys, I'll check on that. I've never had this happen before and it kind of boogered me!

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
On the early models, particularly if they sat for extended periods, this was a problem. Look in my signature on the project bike. As time goes by, it will be an issue for all of us!

·
Registered
37 Posts
mine is making the same noise and i am in the process of tearing her down now. gonna take me awhile im afraid. hrs at work went back up and nobody wants me stumbling around the garage at four in the morning while they r trying to sleep.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Not sure when it occurred, but the early models (including both of mine) have an internal shifter rod which was too flimsy and will eventually fail. Was replaced with a stiffer one in later models. May want to go ahead and replace it while you have the motor out.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Not sure when it occurred, but the early models (including both of mine) have an internal shifter rod which was too flimsy and will eventually fail. Was replaced with a stiffer one in later models. May want to go ahead and replace it while you have the motor out.
That "flimsy" 5 mm tie rod was used from `85 to about 1990. I think the 1991 models were the first to come from the factory with the heavy duty 8 mm shifter tie rod. The threaded ends are the same size on both the 5 and 8 mm rods to fit the shifter shafts. I believe all tie rods shipped now are the heavy duty 8 mm size.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Ahhh, it's nothing to worry about. What you're quite possibly hearing is the shift-shaft washer rubbing up against the balancer specifically because the circlip fell off. (the washer will eventually rub itself down and the noise will disappear.)

To confirm if it's what I just outlined (above), turn your bike on; neutral; and push/pull the shifter in and out of the case. The noise will be prominant in (or out). If this is the case; don't worry about it; it'll go away as the balancer wedges it away to a flat spot. This happens when the bike has fallen, and/or experienced some...trauma. The circlip that holds it in place is at the bottom of the case; no biggie. Ride safe.
another way to check this is to see how much free play you have in your shifter...more than a 1/4 inch and you know the circlip is off or moved... you can fix this with a simple hose clamp on the outside of the case on the shifter shaft.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts