Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After some hard experience, I've decided that I need to find a good pair of over-the-ankle boots to wear while riding. But I don't like the style of most motorcycle-specific boots.

Can anyone recommend a boot that provides a fair amount of protection that is also comfortable for everyday wear?

·
Registered
796 Posts
I've always worn insulated steel toed work boots on the bike. Find a good comfortable pair and they will work just as good as motorcycle boots. You can use them to work in and they are cheaper in some cases.

·
Senior Lurker
509 Posts

·
Late to the party
321 Posts
I bought blackhawk ZW-7s and they are the best boots I have ever owned. You have to get over the fact that the zipper is not for getting them on and off without the laces. The zipper is part of the system to get a nice snug fit. I had virtually no break in and the souls are very grippy on slippery surfaces.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I wear Herman Survivors in the Commander style. As comfortable as tennis shoes with an oil resistant sole and composite toe (some folks like steel toe but others claim they can be a risk on a motorcycle). I actually found them on clearance at Wally World for $25.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Shift racing makes an ankle high motorcycle shoe,comfortable enough to wear all day for 99 bucks that looks like a high top sneaker ut have motorcycle specific safety features,The Icon Tarmac is supposed to be comfy also.

·
Premium Member
4,767 Posts
If you are like me and have a wide foot, Bates makes up to 4E widths. About the only manufacturer in my size and price range.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
My son gave me Desert Storm combat boots last Christmas and I wear them everywhere - walking, to work, on the bike. Very comfortable, lace up, American made by Danner - I expect them to be the last pair of boots I'll ever need.

DT

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
If you would like a set of boots that are specifically designed for motorcycle duty (wet, or dry), and don't like the style of most motorcycle boots (too much of a "Star Wars" look)--then welcome to my world, Fellow Rider...:beerchug:

I have used Cruiserworks brand boots for quite a while, and you can wear them in the office or out and about, and blend right in with the rest of the world. But they will keep your feet warm & dry on a ride in an all-day driving rain. They also offer good protection for your feet/ankles in a crash. Their grip is excellent when you put your feet down off the bike in slippery conditions.

But they don't come cheap, either.

I wear their sidezip version:

http://www.cruiserworks.com/sidezip.php

Usually, they have a schedule for rallies and other events. Pay attention to this schedule on their website, and then you can try a pair on when they come to near your part of the world...:smiley_th

Let us know what your finally decide on, ok....:D....?

·
Registered
796 Posts
I wear the Black Lehigh steeltoe work boots with gortex and thinsulate. Very comfortable and plenty of cushion in the souls. For sneakers I wear the sketchers steeltoe sneaker, again very comfortable and both not a bad price.

Course when not on the bike I sport my mandles/jarusilum cruisers. lol

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I been wearing Dr.Martens industrial boots with steel toe and non stick non slip non corrosive and non electrocute your butt soles. They seem ok. I still pick up vibrations on the floorboards though...might mod them with some cushion

·
Registered
90 Posts
I use Tour Master Solution Waterproof Road Boots and have to say they are very good. Very subdued styling and quite comfortable to walk around. They are a bit on the warm side but should be fine in all other conditions.

·
Newb with a Bullet!
589 Posts
I have the Milwaukee harness boots and I HATE them. Just bought them last year and they are already wearing smooth. Granted I've riden about 1600 miles in that time, but I would expect them to last longer. Not very good traction on wet surfaces, etc. Will never buy them again.

http://www.mmccleather.com/motorcycle-boots/milwaukee-classic-harness-boots.html

Probably going to retire these to my Mad Max costume soon and replace them with something with heavier, lug soles. I have a dirt alley leading to my garage and I need to be able to put my foot down w/ a little mud involved now and again. Also I want something w/ a sole that's going to last better than these have. Shouldn't need a new pair of boots every 6 months!

·
Yahoo VN750 Group Owner
261 Posts
I use Tour Master Solution Waterproof Road Boots and have to say they are very good. Very subdued styling and quite comfortable to walk around. They are a bit on the warm side but should be fine in all other conditions.
I just got a pair of Solution boots after reading a lot of reviews. I agree, very comfortable, and the soles are tremendously sticky, or "grippy" or however you want to say it. But the real test is whether or not they are truly waterproof. I haven't been able to confirm that yet. The Bates "waterproof" boots that I had before are definitely NOT. Have you ridden in the rain with them yet? I'm tempted to step into the bathtub with a few inches of water just to find out.....

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
When not in Uniform, I wear http://www.justinboots.com/boots/Waterproof_Workboots.html?424fccf8=64027" boots... they are very comfortable to walk in all day... comfortable to ride in all day... A little spendy but well worth their weight in gold... I have had mine for 7 years now... and just took them in took get resold this past spring... first boot that I have ever resoled to include military boots.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I have a pair of low top Bates that were issued to me about a year before I retired from the Army Guard... love those boots...Gortex.. bad ass tuff.. will have them resoled next year.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
I'm cheap when it comes to my boots. I just buy the Brama steeltoe work boots from Wal-Mart. For $30-40 I've got a pair of work boots and riding boots all in one.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts