Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found out that my carb boots are leaking. Where can I buy quality carb boots for a 1994 vn750? I saw some on eBay but didn't know about the quality. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well it turns out one of the boots was just loose. I tightened it up and now the boots are fine. So I have an oem set of boots on the way that will sit on the shelf. But I still have the original issue.

The motor at times will idle at 3000 or so RPM and at other times won't idle at all. It almost smells like one cylinder is not firing. I've done some reading on the Forum and have tried a couple suggestions.

In searching for vacuum leaks I sprayed some starter fluid on top of the front cylinder (under the tank) and it kills the motor immediately. Did it twice. Is that normal? Don't want to take the tank off if I don't have to.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Removing the tank is about the easiest thing you can do on this bike, so don't let it worry you if you have to do it. Have you cleaned the carbs since buying? I'm no expert, but it could be a stuck float valve? Were you idling normally before this issue, or has it idled this high since purchasing the bike? When I bought mine, it idled really high, but I think the previous owner turned the idle screw way up to keep it from stalling at lights (it needed some work). So perhaps that is due to the idle screw.

I'd clean the carbs and give the bike a test after that. If it solves the dying problem but still idles high, try the idle screw

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pulled the tank and found this line circled in green. I cannot see any place to hook it up. The other end goes to a Tee between the carbs. I did some reading and it sounds like there should be a vacuum line to the right ear, but this is on the left side. The petcock did have 3 lines connected. Also, this is on the area where I would spray starter fluid and the motor would instantly die...

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
That looks like it would have gone on the back of your air filter unit. I guess you have pods on your carb?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Pulled the tank and found this line circled in green. I cannot see any place to hook it up. The other end goes to a Tee between the carbs. I did some reading and it sounds like there should be a vacuum line to the right ear, but this is on the left side. The petcock did have 3 lines connected. Also, this is on the area where I would spray starter fluid and the motor would instantly die...
Is this the crankcase hose?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That looks like it would have gone on the back of your air filter unit. I guess you have pods on your carb?
Yes I have the pods (or ears). And yeah, I'm guessing that's where it goes. Everything I read said it should go to the right side air filter, so I was hoping that was my problem... I've sprayed starter fluid everywhere, and after tightening the rear boot, nothing else made a difference. After pulling the tank, I saw that where I was spraying between the front carb and tank that was killing the motor, was probably just a fluid induced short. So I'm back to square one...

Engine fluctuates between idling at high rpms for a few minutes then trying to die unless I open the throttle... It smells and feels like one of the cylinders is cutting in and out.

Not that I'm an emoji guy, but this one expresses my feelings...

:doh:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's getting fuel. When it starts the spuddering and not idling, i smell gas big time, unburnt fuel... If there's nothing I need to check with th tank off, I'll put it back on, start the bike up, wait for the spudder, and pull one plug at a time. All the plug wires are connected...

·
Registered
7,650 Posts
The carb vent has the tee between the carbs. The line can run to either ear, there's a spot on both ears.

You still have the airbox, so you probably still have stock air filters. Pods are the aftermarket air filters, used when the airbox is removed... earshave.

Sounds like there might be a vacuum leak. Check both vacuum lines, to the petcock (left carb), and the emissions valve (right carb). If starter fluid gets to the leak, it will change the idle. Spraying near the carb vent shouldn't cause a change, but it might. The vent is directly into the fuel chambers of the carbs.

·
Registered
7,650 Posts
It's getting fuel. When it starts the spuddering and not idling, i smell gas big time, unburnt fuel... If there's nothing I need to check with th tank off, I'll put it back on, start the bike up, wait for the spudder, and pull one plug at a time. All the plug wires are connected...
Could try watching it in the dark to see if any of the plug caps/plug wires are arcing. Just found one of the caps arcing on mine.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hmmm. Well I've looked at that but it looks like more $$$ than I want to spend. And it is easy to pull the tank. I would really just like for it run dependably...
I hear ya! But if you get to the point where you think the problem is in the carbs, you have to take the surge tank out, so at that point I think its easier to just get the earshave done. I'm more electrically inclined than mechanically, so I'll let the others help diagnose the problem

1 - 16 of 16 Posts