Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice on my boot situation.

I bought a nice pair of Xelement boots. Mid-calf length(height?), Velcro, zippers, shin guards, the whole 9 yards.

Well, my problem is that a) I have skinny legs and b) the soles are too thick.

a)My legs are so skinny I have to wear 2 big pairs of tube socks so that my ankle/calf isn’t swallowed up by the boot. It “fits” on my foot, but the rim of the boot rubs my calves raw if I don’t have big socks on, because there’s so much room. I have the Velcro strapped as tight as I can make it. My leg is like a straw flopping around in a cup with no lid. My feet get so hot and sweaty that it’s just not comfortable to wear all day.

b)The other problem is that the soles are so thick that I can’t feel the brake pedal at ALL. The shifter is OK, but can’t really feel it either.

I wore some jungle/army boots that fit really tight and well, and it was sooo nice to ride and be able to FEEL the bike better. The only problem is that the jungle boots have virtually no protection (no padding, just thin canvas).

Does anyone else have this problem, or have any suggestions?

If anyone wants to buy them, I'm probably going to sell them soon and find something else. Only worn for like 2 weeks. I paid 100 + shipping.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
What size did you get? Is the size correct compared to other shoes?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Size 12. My sneakers are always 13, but boots are anywhere from 11-13, depending on the boot. The "fit" directly around my foot feels pretty decent, it's just from ankle up to calf, it's too big. I have that problem with a LOT of boots. I can't wear regular cowboy boots because they flop back and forth and just rub my calves terribly. My jungle boots are cinched ALL the way up with the laces, both sides touching where the laces cross.

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
What size did you get? Is the size correct compared to other shoes?
I agree, I think you bought too large a boot. There should be minimal foot movement when sizing for boots. I bought a pair of Red Wings which were a half size too large and they rubbed the back of ankle raw. Exchanged for a smaller size and never had the issue again. The only time a boot needs to be bigger is if you are getter boots to fit over your shoes.

Buying online is difficult because places like Letherup.com tries to make their fitting as universal as possible.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
You could try 80's style leg warmers or tuck your pants legs in to provide some more diameter to your legs. :) Neither are going to really have that badass cool biker look though.

I wear Bates Enforcers with heavy duty D ickies work socks. The boots lace, zip and have a little velcro piece at the top. Not only are they comfortable to wear on the bike and are oil/slip resistant, but they are very comfortable to wear all day long. I tied the laces as tightly as they would go using a ladder lacing pattern. Then when I put them on or take them off, I just use the zipper.

I have that problem with some cowboy boots, but I have extra long socks with special padding in just the right places for my roach stompers.

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
You could try 80's style leg warmers or tuck your pants legs in to provide some more diameter to your legs. :) Neither are going to really have that badass cool biker look though.
I wear Bates Enforcers with heavy duty D ickies work socks. The boots lace, zip and have a little velcro piece at the top. Not only are they comfortable to wear on the bike and are oil/slip resistant, but they are very comfortable to wear all day long. I tied the laces as tightly as they would go using a ladder lacing pattern. Then when I put them on or take them off, I just use the zipper.

I have that problem with some cowboy boots, but I have extra long socks with special padding in just the right places for my roach stompers.
Especially if those leg warmers are neon pink! :p

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
My toe is literally as tight as I can go before it will hurt, so if I do any smaller, my foot won't fit.

Plus, even if I get my ankle to fit better (thicker socks, whatever...) that still doesn't fix the problem of not feeling the brake. Do you think that will get better as I break the boot in more, or is that a problem with thick soles?

·
Registered
161 Posts
My stepdad wears those silly harley boots. I don't understand. I wear my vans most of the time, work boots if I'm going to work, and my old desert tan ACU boots if we're going riding and it's cool out.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I wasn't implying you bought the wrong size, you said you might sell them so I wanted to know the size. My current boots are falling apart lol. But they're too big for me, I only use size 9.5 shoes.

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts
I would never wear a boot or shoe on the bike that I wasn't comfortable wearing when I'm off the bike. I don't care for boots that go more than an inch or two above the ankle.....anymore.

They make some real nice boots now that are as comfortable as a running shoe that are specifically made for motorcyclists.

If your uncomfortable , you need to find something that
works. Boots can be flexible and still be sturdy.

Do a search for - Icon Tarmac 2
Or
Speed and Strength Speed Shop Boots

·
Just a regular guy
833 Posts
Ceal... not to hijack the thread... but I have an almost new pair of Harley boots someone gave me... they are a size 9... I wear about an 8.5 and they are too big.... if you wanna try the I'm willing to sell them... they're just sitting around.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Ceal... not to hijack the thread... but I have an almost new pair of Harley boots someone gave me... they are a size 9... I wear about an 8.5 and they are too big.... if you wanna try the I'm willing to sell them... they're just sitting around.
9 might be too small. My current boots fit perfectly and they're 9.5. Thanks though.

I have to see what's gonna happen with my bike first anyway before I go spending any money on anything u_u

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
I love any boot I can wear all day long while I'm up on the bike and also walking around. I have a high pair and a just over the ankle pair. I swore I wouldn't buy a boot with a zipper and I did. They aren't bad, a bit of an effort putting them on but I can wear them all day.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wolfie, those HH boots look sweeeeeeeeeeet! Too bad I'm more than an hour away from any dealer... That'll be a job for my next gatlinburg trip...

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts
Shoes are also sized for width. I have to use D width. I have a short foot, but wide.
That's always my problem finding a good fitting shoe. I have a wide foot at the toes - E width....but my heel is narrow. (Yes they are swim fins)

Not a lot of companies make wide width shoes or boots.
New Balance does. To be honest, even with my penchant for wearing armored gear and a FF helmet.....I like wearing my NB running shoes on the bike. Boots are heavy and hot, and I guess I'm not worried about foot injuries....

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Going to the big city after work today with the wife and will try and do some boot-shopping. There aren't any good leather/motorcycle boot shops around here so I'm going to try and find the best "tactical/army" type boot that I can use for work too, and at least use that until I come across a good boot store.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Maybe look into corcoran boots too. I wear the zipper field boot. Its the same as the zipper paratrooper but with a lug sole. I love them for riding, but they aren't as adjustable as some other boots, no Velcro or anything just a zipper and laces. For work I wear timberland pro helix boots. They are the most comfortable boots I've worn in a while.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts