Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the rectifier about 2 weeks ago. Last night I was checking the wiring on it (I suck at electrical stuff so was just checking to make sure all is well). I saw one of the wires were loose. So I pulled all the wires from the plastic connector and I was going to clean the dyelectrical grease off and replace the quick connects. Well, as soon as I unplugged the wires from the connector it hit me. I did not note the order the wires are plugged into the connector. To make things worse, there are THREE yellow wires. Yes, i'm a moron for not marking the wires.

Is there any easy way I can find out the order the wires go in? I'm looking through the manual and Clymers right now.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
The three yellow wires order shouldn't matter.
Not sure if this pic shows the proper order or not. maybe someone else knows for sure

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found in the manual the 3 yellow wires (A1, A2, and A3) are the alternator terminal. The picture and diagram helps with the other 3 wires. Before I mess up something, can anyone else confirm that order of the 3 yellow wires is not important?

·
Simple Solutions
965 Posts
I found in the manual the 3 yellow wires (A1, A2, and A3) are the alternator terminal. The picture and diagram helps with the other 3 wires. Before I mess up something, can anyone else confirm that order of the 3 yellow wires is not important?
the three wires get connected to the rectifire on the same bar the order is unimportant ... if it were important they would a. be three diffrent colors andb. it would mattterr what order u connected the stator to the harness at the bullet connectors

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
... if it were important they would a. be three diffrent colors andb. it would mattterr what order u connected the stator to the harness at the bullet connectors
That's a really helpful observation, Seebeeare! I assume that the same - at least about the wire color - holds true for other situations? That if the positioning of the wires doesn't matter, then the color is a constant?

·
Simple Solutions
965 Posts
Of course beware of the PO who does a bunch of re-wiring and buys a 200' roll of red wire...only. It pays to have the wiring diagram in color!
lol good point fergy ... now if u were to run all new wires one of the yellow leads is spliced and i believe (from a source on here ) a leg pulled off of one of the yellow wires goes to the headlight controll unit... (havent actually traced that 4th wire myself)

crobin i cant speak for other situations that this rule would apply... but it would be foolish of a manufacturer to run a same color wire it could make diagnosing and tracing next to impossible ... (not that manufacturers have not done foolish things lol )

I believe it was lance on another thread that pointed out that these wires are combined in the rectifier,
the fact that the 3 bullet connectors are interchangeable was the determining factor that these wires would be interchangeable at the rectifier also ... :rockon:

(hope u guys can make sence of this cause ive read and retyped it a couple times and its still confusing ...)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks everyone! I got the wires in the connector and was able to crank up the bike last night. All lights and everything seems to be working good. I also got the headlight working (both low and hi beam) with hyperbuzzin's suggestion from http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12994&page=2. Also installed the Standard Kawasaki windshield. It looks smaller on the bike then I thought it would. Ohh well, will be good for short trips. Now I got the driver's (brake side) footrest part coming in today and that should finish up all the repairs needed. Just in time for winter lol This forum is AWESOME and I really appreciate everyone's help and input. Makes being a VN750 worth it and more fun.

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
Of course beware of the PO who does a bunch of re-wiring and buys a 200' roll of red wire...only.
Are you the one who ended up with my old Honda?

Oh wait ...... I used BLUE wire ......

Nevermind ..... Carry on like nothing happened ......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts