Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased an used laggage racks on EBay with no bolts and struggling to find the appropriate bolt size and types. I have tried a 6MM which falls right through, 7MM seems to work but doesn't tighten down, and 8MM doesn't fit. Is it a thread type issue i.e., course versus fine? What am I missing, wasting gas going back and forth to Home Depot. Thanks in advance.
:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Purchased an used laggage racks on EBay with no bolts and struggling to find the appropriate bolt size and types. I have tried a 6MM which falls right through, 7MM seems to work but doesn't tighten down, and 8MM doesn't fit. Is it a thread type issue i.e., course versus fine? What am I missing, wasting gas going back and forth to Home Depot. Thanks in advance.
:confused:
I thought they were 8mm-1.25 pitch. In metric you have to get the proper pitch. I bought 2 last year at a local hardware store but I'm not positive on the size.

·
Super Moderator
11,810 Posts
I'm pretty sure he's right about the 8mm size.

My question However is the bolts are replacement bolts for ones already on the bike, so why can't you just take them out, go to a hardware store and find ones that match that are just a bit longer?

Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the help

hey Knifemaker, I do not have the original bolts or any since the bike did not have any when it was acquired.

The two bolts on the sissy bar I had and was able to replace, but I am referring to the two that are on the horizontal member above the fender.

thanks again!

JM2001-I'll see if i can find the one you suggest. It feels lke a thread type issue.

·
Super Moderator
11,810 Posts
The two bolts on the sissy bar I had and was able to replace, but I am referring to the two that are on the horizontal member above the fender.

thanks again!

Well, that's what I'm asking. Aren't there two bolts in that spot already holding the fender?

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Well, that's what I'm asking. Aren't there two bolts in that spot already holding the fender?
No there aren't. Yes they are 8mmX1.5 bolts. I used those holes to mount my rack to when I designed it. Just make sure you don't get them too long or they scratch your fender.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. I'll take another look at it tonight. As, M_Angell pointed out there isn't any bolts on the cross member, nor does the fender connecteat this point. I send a picture if I still have problems.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I bought mine at the hardware store and got the perfect sizes from this website somewhere.... don't go back to the store until one of us finds that page.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Here we go:

10mm head, 6mm x 20mm shaft bolts with a 1.00 pitch hold the luggage rack to the sides of the sissy bar. You need four of them. 13mm heads, 8mm x 20mm with a 1.25 pitch for the bolts that insert towards the fender. You need two of these.

Found at: http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10533

Take special note about the blue threadlock!!!!

·
Super Moderator
11,810 Posts
Ok, so the cross member has no bolts in it from the factory, but does have two threaded holes....

Just seems odd they would put two threaded holes there for basically nothing to bolt to. Keep in mind the first luggage racks they offfered did not use those holes, so it's even odder to me they put them there.......:confused:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Ok, so the cross member has no bolts in it from the factory, but does have two threaded holes....

Just seems odd they would put two threaded holes there for basically nothing to bolt to. Keep in mind the first luggage racks they offfered did not use those holes, so it's even odder to me they put them there.......:confused:
Someone had foresight at design time to install something there or to make an all-purpose place to clamp something down. Along the way someone nixed an idea and that's how the design ended up. we made use of them anyway with the newer rack! Maybe people also use them to attach throw over bags, or to attach extra bars for something or other.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
KnifeMaker,
Given that this is an old bike, I am not sure if the bolts were lost over time or never there. There are threaded holes.

DACataldo - thanks for the link. You were right, got the information I needed. Just need to find it somewhere now. My local Home Depot doesn't have this a bolt with this pitch. Heading to the Kawaski dealer over the weekend and should be able to put this to bed.

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Happy to help. I found the bolts at either HD or Lowe's - they mark the little packages differently then the spec is, so if you are unsure and haven't done so already, ask someone to find that bolt for you - they are in the drawers. You shouldn't HAVE to go to the dealer. G'luck!

·
Sparky!!!
8,696 Posts
dealer is the last place i would look for bolts... a good family owned hardware store would have them and if not... they would know who had some in stock.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts