Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to put my sissy bar back on my bike and I noticed the bolt holes are a little rusty. I know, how rusty? Rusty enough to warrant a cleaning before putting things back in order. Anyone suggest a method to do this? Is there a product out there? I'll pick up a wire brush.

·
Super Moderator
11,866 Posts
Holes rusty? To clean out holes I use a dowel or bolt smaller than the hole, tape a piece of fine sandpaper to it and chuck it in a drill. Stick it in the hole and spin it long enough to wipe out the rust.

A dremel tool with the right tip works too. If the hole is small I just roll a piece of abrasive paper into a tube that fits the hole and spin it by hand.

·
200% senile
164 Posts

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts
I usually spray the hole with pb blaster and let it si a day or twp i then spray it again then use the bolt as a thread cleaner.usually works fine for me,as long as it's not super rusty

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
You could also clean it out with a tap of the same size. Spray a little pb blaster as suggested then feed the tap in by hand. Wiggle around a bit and you should be set. A little bit of anti seize can help prevent that from happening again.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts
You could also clean it out with a tap of the same size. Spray a little pb blaster as suggested then feed the tap in by hand. Wiggle around a bit and you should be set. A little bit of anti seize can help prevent that from happening again.
Have done that too just don't currently have any taps.think my brother has em.lol

·
Alpha Geek
487 Posts
PB blaster is amazing stuff if you give it time to work. I got a cheap tap & die set at Harbor Freight and it has been well worth the $20-30.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Unless they are really bad, a high quality bolt, and any kind of light lubricant, including WD-40 should work fine. Soak the bolt and hole, get it started in the threads, then turn it back and forth, turning it just a little more each time. Use 8.8 or better bolts. Hardware store bolts will get chewed up, and in turn chew up the threads on the bike.

·
Super Moderator
11,866 Posts
Holes rusty? To clean out holes I use a dowel or bolt smaller than the hole, tape a piece of fine sandpaper to it and chuck it in a drill. Stick it in the hole and spin it long enough to wipe out the rust.

A dremel tool with the right tip works too. If the hole is small I just roll a piece of abrasive paper into a tube that fits the hole and spin it by hand.
Sorry....the above was under the assumption that the holes were not threaded.....as this wasn't made clear.
Yes a thread chaser or tap would work...but some PB blaster and a QTip likely bee good too...as the piece is aluminum isn't it? The rust would be from the bolt..

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
If you are referring to stock parts, there are 3 different parts, the side rails, which bolt to the frame, using threaded holes in the steel frame, and the rear upright part, which bolts to the side rails. Those are aluminum threads.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all of you. I just got an education.

I'm going to pick up PB tomorrow.

Bought followers from Harbor Freight to back out a striped bolt on my windshield. The metal was soft and quickly lost it's shape after a number of bangs with the hammer so much so I threw out the tool when I was done. The price was very reasonable and a super idea but quality was poor IMO. Maybe I got a bad set.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts
TIN ROOF.

U

rusty.sorry had to do it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts