Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys just purchased a 2002 vulcan 750 with 16k miles on it. Was told that the aftermarket pod air filters were the cause of this issue. Again my issues are. High idle after riding for 10 minutes, won't go over 70, bogs down on acceleration, and back fires on acceleration not sure about deceleration. Compression on both cylinders are 170. Was told the carbs were cleaned. Bike fires up on first start and idles pretty well when cold even after running for about 5 minutes runs find then starts to stall out.

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
Check to see where the carb vent hose is located. It needs to be in dead air space, wind will prevent gas from filling the carbs.

Make sure the fuel hoses don't run upward anywhere.

Pod filters are only a problem when the design blocks ports at the carb intake. Do you know what brand the filters are?

·
Registered
8 Posts
This sounds suspiciously like a partially clogged pilot jet. I had a Yamaha Virago that did this same thing, and it turned out one of the pilot jets had a little debris in it. Those holes are not much bigger than the diameter of a sewing needle, and I was quite surprised to learn how much they affect performance. If I remember correctly, the easiest way to check is to idle the bike on the center stand and disconnect one spark plug. If it continues to run (albeit roughly) then that cylinder is fine. Disconnect the other. If it dies instantly, it's most likely that pilot jet.

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
So two things, I never did the ear shave, are there still carb boots involved when you switch to pods?
Also if it’s bogging at 70 wouldn’t that clear the pilot jet since that’s only in play below 3000rpms or so??

I’d lean towards the leaky boot/filter because it sounds like the mixture is getting thrown off.

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
So two things, I never did the ear shave, are there still carb boots involved when you switch to pods?
Also if it’s bogging at 70 wouldn’t that clear the pilot jet since that’s only in play below 3000rpms or so??

I’d lean towards the leaky boot/filter because it sounds like the mixture is getting thrown off.
Yes, the boot between the carb and cylinder head is always there, a leak on the other side doesn't usually cause the high idle.

True, pilot jet wouldn't be in play at 70 mph.

Have to rule out the easy stuff first, then move on if the problem persists. A leaking diaphragm, maybe, but the others seem more likely.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts