Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I got stuck in the heavy, can't hardley see 50' ahead rain today. I was obviosly riding slow. When the rain let up, I could increase my speed. When the bike got up to around 4k, it acted like it was bogging for lack of a better term. When I got out of the rain every thing went back to normal. As for the specs, I've shaved using the emgo filters. The only thing I can think of is maybe the excessive water made the filter to restrictive? What do you think.

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
That would be my guess also. The fact that youre shaved it would be easier for the filter to be restricked.

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
Sounds logical to me.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Soggy filter gets restricitve, and the emgo filter are restrictive as it is,

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
emgo filter are restrictive as it is,
That would actually explain alot. You see I shaved & didn't re-jet. I used a colortune spark plug tool to set the carb. Worked out great. I shaved & I'm still getting 45 to 50 mpg. Eventually I'll get around to posting about that, maybe. Still testing. I'm only a couple thousand miles into the change. Wich is only a couple months for me.

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
I have the Emgo's too (the PK 92 - not sure if those are the ones you have) and have ridden in the rain a BUNCH and have had no issues with "clogging" filters.

One theory is that depending on your carb vent setup - THAT might be getting clogged... I do know that when I initially shaved I had the filter for the carb vent in the "wrong spot" and the bike ran like crap when there was any side wind or if I went over 60mph - Pulled the vent line and it's been fine since (I'm sure I'm wreaking havoc on my carbs... but whatever).

Just one thing to consider if you're one of those with your carb vent line filter hanging out where the ears once were... Even if the pods were getting wet there'd still be a dry back end - and the bike can run well with pretty damn dirty filters (same to the bike as wet filters).

I DO ride behind a windshield - was a PF3, now a vetter fairing. I noticed you only have the flyscreen, so you're filters may get way wetter than mine (no noticable moisture on them after a ride through the rain)

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I've been slacking in updating my signature. I've moved to a slightly larger "noname" brand. But It was a rediculously heavy rain. But I was getting soaked under the underpass so why not keep moving! lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts