·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok me and my buddy saw this bike:
http://www.cdthayer.com/imagesbike/Chop_Brian_02.jpg
and this bike:
http://www.cdthayer.com/imagesbike/Chop_Shea_03.jpg
and thought about making my bike into a bobber... now im not wanting to go into extreme fabrication on this lol i just want to make it cool lookin. what i have planned is 16 inch ape hangers, flat black tank, shortened rear fender... like the 1 in the pic, no front fender, chrome pipes coming out the right side w/ black tape on em untill the last say.... 6 inches which will show chrome, new seat, and POSSIBLY a suicide shifter w/ a foot clutch :)

what do u guys think of the idea?

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
I like the idea and what you have outlined - go for it!!

I've been thinking about doing this as well. I want to do a bobber but with some slightly different ideas. I plan on going the other way with the bars - a low drag bar instead of ape-hangers and I want to do a rigid frame modification (see the "Hard Arse" thread). I like the exhaust that you describe and want to do something similar with heat wrap. Because of the rigid frame, I want to go with a sprung solo seat.

Not sure if I want to do the suicide clutch and jockey shifter - although they look pretty cool. I'll wait for your report on how you like it! :D

What I would really like to do is a springer front end . . .

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like the idea and what you have outlined - go for it!!

I've been thinking about doing this as well. I want to do a bobber but with some slightly different ideas. I plan on going the other way with the bars - a low drag bar instead of ape-hangers and I want to do a rigid frame modification (see the "Hard Arse" thread). I like the exhaust that you describe and want to do something similar with heat wrap. Because of the rigid frame, I want to go with a sprung solo seat.

Not sure if I want to do the suicide clutch and jockey shifter - although they look pretty cool. I'll wait for your report on how you like it! :D

What I would really like to do is a springer front end . . .
yeah im gonna go rigid too i forgot to add that lol i just dont know where to get those bars that replace the shocks like in the pic i showed

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Make your own bars that go in place of the shocks. Use a round or square tube and weld a nut or something of the sort at each end. Just an idea.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Make your own bars that go in place of the shocks. Use a round or square tube and weld a nut or something of the sort at each end. Just an idea.
yeah thats a good idea but u gotta think.... this is whats keeping my butt off the rear tire.... im thinkin something a lil stronger lol

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i really dont wanna do 2 much fabrication... i want to be able to put it back stock (even tho the bike is in my name dad will be a lil upset if i welded on the bike lol) im goin to buy a different tank and stuff to where i dont have to sand my stock tank

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Mine is already a rigid using solid bars to replace the shocks. My plan is to modify the frame to look like a true rigid frame - similar to what Bucky did in the "Hard Arse" thread.

I hope to start the surgery this weekend. If you are interested in the bars when I am done, PM me. They are solid steel with drilled holes so no welds to break. They are very stout and require no mods to the bike.

I've been riding it as a rigid for a couple of months and the ride is not nearly as hard as I had thought it would be. Good luck on your build.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine is already a rigid using solid bars to replace the shocks. My plan is to modify the frame to look like a true rigid frame - similar to what Bucky did in the "Hard Arse" thread.

I hope to start the surgery this weekend. If you are interested in the bars when I am done, PM me. They are solid steel with drilled holes so no welds to break. They are very stout and require no mods to the bike.

I've been riding it as a rigid for a couple of months and the ride is not nearly as hard as I had thought it would be. Good luck on your build.
YGPM :) btw im trying to do this w/ as low of a budget as i can get. me and a friend of mine will be doing all the work so that will keep costs down. hopefully i can piece it together well

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Here is a picture of a VN 750 Bobber I saw at our Toys for Tots Parade last December (thus the road salt). He had fabricated a suicide shifter on his bike.....

Stevie D.
Chicago

Attachments

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is a picture of a VN 750 Bobber I saw at our Toys for Tots Parade last December (thus the road salt). He had fabricated a suicide shifter on his bike.....

Stevie D.
Chicago
cool thanx man

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i really wanna figure out what all i have to get to do this... is my list good?

i think the 1st thing im gonna do is make it rigid then ill work on my rear fender and my seat, after that its basically just puttin on the bars, cleanin up stuff thats pointless and paint

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ya know im thinkin about all this and it seems like a lot of work... i think im gonna put the apes on it and lower the tailend 3inches and make it rigid b4 i do anything else.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I really like the bobber look!!! This winters to-do list includes trimming some "excess" off the fenders,I'm going to try to hammer out a seat pan for a solo seat,straight cut drag pipes,finally geting around to making the forward controls,and maybe widening the tank an inch or two,side mount lic. plate and led turnsignals and tail lights,and of course new paint job AGAIN. and a 170 rear tire.

·
Registered
159 Posts
For those of you going rigid, Get a spring seat. I have made my bike into a bobber. I was not able to sit in the seat long with the stock seat in place. The little seats with springs save so much grief.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Personally I like the idea of lowered seats and forward controls. The bike with the green tank is altogether a better concept. The bike with the red wheels looks like the owner had different ideas at different times and they don;'t quite fit together. Those upright almost forward leaning handlebars don't look good and I suspect they will make the bike harder to control. And the short rear fender spoils the lines of the bike at the back. There has been a relocation of the back lights but the result is they are obscured on one side. Frankly that isn't clever.

If you are going to lower your seat then you will have to do some deft relocation of your battery and electrics. Think it out beforehand - dont just get your hacksaw out - you'll just screw up the bike. I never quite got the fascination for hardtails. Its one thing to do on a custom frame but what would be the gain in turning this bike into a hard ender.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
For those of you going rigid, Get a spring seat. I have made my bike into a bobber. I was not able to sit in the seat long with the stock seat in place. The little seats with springs save so much grief.
Got pics? I am interested in how you mounted the spring seat. Did you buy the seat or make a pan and have it covered? Actually I'd like to see pics of the whole bike, too!! :) Thanks.

Personally I like the idea of lowered seats and forward controls. The bike with the green tank is altogether a better concept. The bike with the red wheels looks like the owner had different ideas at different times and they don;'t quite fit together. Those upright almost forward leaning handlebars don't look good and I suspect they will make the bike harder to control. And the short rear fender spoils the lines of the bike at the back. There has been a relocation of the back lights but the result is they are obscured on one side. Frankly that isn't clever.
I agree with your assessment of the 2 bikes - the black/green one is done much better. To me the allure of a rigid bobber is the very clean and simple look of a rigid frame and a stripped down bike. But your right, some pull it off better than others . . .

·
Registered
722 Posts
The two bikes on CD's site are the same bike.The flamed paint job is the original owner and then he sold it to the guy who really chopped it up and painted it flat black with red wheels.The original version was much nicer.The reason the bars lean forward is because of the 16"rise you have to have them forward for better comfort and control.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts