Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, seen some pretty cool bikes on this forum, just wanted to post my winter project. I cut the tail of the frame off to clean up the solo look, gonna mount a flat fender, solo spring seat, redid wiring harness to remove turn signal circuit and relocate horn, highbeam and ign switch. gonna do the ear shave and get exhuast done this winter too. here is what i have so far, more pics to come

·
Registered
175 Posts
just an FYI
This is exactly what the previous owner attempted to do with my VN750 project. In my case, he only partially completed one side. Mine is now at the welders to get the tail pieces re attached. Had we have known each other, we could have switched frames HAHAH. Too funny. Good luck with your project looks good so far.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Interesting build ya got there! Looks good :beerchug:
One question for ya...
How do ya operate the suicide shifter with still having the clutch on the same side?
There was a pic someone had of another Vulcan with a suicide shifter, but it was routed to the right side.
Unfortuately though, it was on Yahoo photos, which is no longer around :confused: and the only other pic is too small to really see it.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Good luck with the bobber build. Looking good so far.

Hyper - I think he'll have to go to a foot operated clutch OR relocate the hand operated clutch to the suicide shifter so that both can be operated with the same hand.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
A suicide shifter, or "jockey" shifter almost always has the clutch mounted to the shifter handle. I've seen a lot of them around here on Harleys. They look awkward and clunky to me, kind of like driving a truck. Jerry.

·
Vintage bike addict
859 Posts
The suicide shifter is so named for good reason. I don't get the attraction of this mod at all.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Go work, looking forward to seeing it when you are done. Maybe I can ride over in spring.
Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the compliments guys. In regards to the hand shifter: tried the clutch on the shifter, looks cool and works great, but a HUGE pain in the ass trying to park the bike. Either hold the clutch and steer w one hand, or hurry and shift to neutral before you park. I imagine a foot clutch would incure the same type of problems. As far as the current setup, I just float the gears going up and reach over while shifting down. Still have a long way to go with this build, but i'll get it rideable again for the start of the season, then build a front end for next winter.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts

·
'85 Bobber
98 Posts
Bike is looking good. I was thinking about doing the same shifter style on mine. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm gonna use something else for a hand shifter in the future. Right now, it is half a set of kz650 handle bars bent into shape. probably gonna weld up some chain to match the sissybar i'm making.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, got some Jardine exhaust from a buddy. He wanted the stock exhaust for his 750 instead of the jardines that were on the bike when he got it. gave them to me for the stock stuff, and me swaping them out on his bike. Free stuff is great! looks much better on the bike. also got my seat, fender, and fender brace mounted. Stuff for the ear shave is on it's way. will post more pics soon.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well, got some Jardine exhaust from a buddy. He wanted the stock exhaust for his 750 instead of the jardines that were on the bike when he got it. gave them to me for the stock stuff, and me swaping them out on his bike. Free stuff is great! looks much better on the bike. also got my seat, fender, and fender brace mounted. Stuff for the ear shave is on it's way. will post more pics soon.
I have the Jardines on mine... they have a very nice sound!! Although they could be a little louder (for my taste).

I also have to give you props for your taste in sidemounted lisence plate and taillight (I have the same one).:beerchug:

Good luck with the build, mine is mostly complete, not quite a bobber but in spirit it is... (I had to put turnsignals back on, cuz the old lady was complaining should couldn't see me at night). :p

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
nOOb, did you get your bars from road 6 too? looks like the same bars I want. Gonna wait til i get my springer front end set up before i get them though. maybe next winter.
got a question for anyone that can help: got 2 of the emco filters for the carb and the crankcase filters, not sure where to intall them, neither hose looks like it will come close to fitting the filters, any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
96 Posts
nOOb, did you get your bars from road 6 too? looks like the same bars I want.
Yup... Road6Customs from ebay...

They are pretty decent bars, 12" Z-bar ape hanger.

The up side is that they are almost identical in pullback, rise and width. So your stock cables fit pretty well. (I did buy new throttle cables that were a few inches longer, but my old ones were shot).

The powder coat seems a little light, but adequate.

If you are going to use the stock controls (throttle, brake, clutch) REMEMBER to include space for that before you drill a hole in the bars for the throttle body pin... otherwise you will need to do a little extra modification of the bars...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
found a spoke rear wheel that will fit the 750. ordered it tonight on ebay shipped for $95.
almost done with the build, can't wait, been down too long. will post some new pics in the next day or two. gonna have some days off so i can get caught up on some of the build.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
got a question for anyone that can help: got 2 of the emco filters for the carb and the crankcase filters, not sure where to intall them, neither hose looks like it will come close to fitting the filters, any help would be greatly appreciated!
Someone else here modded the stock intake tubes to fit. I'll see if I can find the pic.

found a spoke rear wheel that will fit the 750. ordered it tonight on ebay shipped for $95.
almost done with the build, can't wait, been down too long. will post some new pics in the next day or two. gonna have some days off so i can get caught up on some of the build.
As it's said often..... Don't forget the pics!! Would be great to see a Vulcan with a spoked wheel set-up!
What did the wheel come off of?

·
Ba dum dum, ching...
542 Posts
found a spoke rear wheel that will fit the 750. ordered it tonight on ebay shipped for $95...
A spoke wheel for a shaft drive? I don't think I've ever seen one of those. That will be interesting to see.

R

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
A spoke wheel for a shaft drive? I don't think I've ever seen one of those. That will be interesting to see.

R
Ummmm...The VStars all have spoke wheels and shaft drives same as the Vulcan 1500 classics, Guzzi V7's, even the beautiful KS500's. Lots and lots of spoked wheel shaft drives out there.

I'de be super interested in hearing which wheel he used that fits our final drive and swing arm set up.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts