1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
I would be weary about using any harsh abrasive on chrome. Chrome is actually a CLEAR hard coating put on a shiny (usually nichol metal) surface. If your chrome outer layer is burnt and you just rub it off with an abrasive the nichol under layer will be very shiny for a while before it tarnishes and dulls. I helped in a chroming shop for a few days (chroming parts for my car) and learned. The actual shiny silver color is usually nichol metal that the chrome protects from oxidizing.
Just for fun…. Since Nichol doesn’t electroplate well to steel most shops first electroplate copper to the steel before electroplating nickel to the copper and later the chrome layer is electroplated to the nichol. How often have you seen chrome worn to the copper colored layer???

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yep, I have seen the worn chrome with the copper color. Used to work in a plant that made electrolytic chrome, also manganese (for ammo, jet engines, tanks, artillery, and such) and maganese dioxide (for alkaline batteries). Only plant in the US.

I don't know that the Blue Job is a harsh abrasive, the cloths look a lot like Nevr-Dull wadding.

Thought it might be worth a shot to get rid of the colors. Meanwhile I saw a post where the guy wanted his pipes to turn blue and asked if a torch would do it. lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts