Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Captive New Yorker....
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a beautiful day here in New York on Sunday, finally got myself together to go for a ride, got about 5 miles from my house, and my upper radiator hose blew.

Getting sprayed with hot antifreeze while doing 60 is not fun!!

Check those hoses guys!!!

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
ouch!!

Hope you and the bike are OK. You gonna come out and meet us for a ride one of these day Peter? We need to start planning some get togethers for the NY/NJ/CT area folks.

·
Captive New Yorker....
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure, keep me posted. I work right on the New York/Jersey Border....

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,299 Posts
Sure, keep me posted. I work right on the New York/Jersey Border....
i used to live in Hardyston.hung out in unionville for a little while.hope you are okay

·
Captive New Yorker....
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I'm fine, I was only 5 miles from home so I just rode the bike home and let it spray on me a bit. What sucks is that it's taking forever for new hoses to come in and I'm missing some serious seat time!

·
87 VN750 Lookin Good
126 Posts
I just took my upper hose to the local auto zone and matched up to what they had that was about the right shape and the right diameter and cut away what I did not need ....works fine for $9.00

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
I'm really glad to hear you're ok, and you're lucky you didn't crash. Anti-freeze is pretty slippery.

I know guys that would crash just from the shock of having scalding coolant sprayed on them.

Had a Goldwing burp oil onto the rear tire in third gear at full throttle, got a bad case of road rash from that one. I took pics of the oil spray on the road and got the failure to maintain control ticket dropped. Beware the early Goldwings!

Have to look at mine while they're off.

·
Captive New Yorker....
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had a Goldwing burp oil onto the rear tire in third gear at full throttle, got a bad case of road rash from that one. I took pics of the oil spray on the road and got the failure to maintain control ticket dropped. Beware the early Goldwings!

Have to look at mine while they're off.
What's a Goldwing Burp???

So you wiped out on your bike, and a cop came and wrote you a ticket, when you're all banged up???

·
Captive New Yorker....
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just took my upper hose to the local auto zone and matched up to what they had that was about the right shape and the right diameter and cut away what I did not need ....works fine for $9.00
Yeah, I should have done that. I was just about too, but supposedly the hoses are gonna be delivered tomorrow.....

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
What's a Goldwing Burp???

So you wiped out on your bike, and a cop came and wrote you a ticket, when you're all banged up???
Lol,... I took off from a stop and started cranking it, when it hit third gear wide open, the oil separator belched oil all over the back tire, which promptly lit up, laying rubber and sliding out. It low sided at about 40 and headed for utility pole. I got off and slid straight up the road quite a way, then got my feet down and ran the last 25ft until I could get stopped.

The skin on my hands was all bubbled up with road rash on the arms and love handles. Some guy stopped and offered me a ride, so I hopped in the back of his truck because I had blood and dirt all over.

Went home and got my pickup, ended up following the ambulance to the wreck. I was in shock by then, got ticketed, refused treatment, somehow loaded a Goldwing into a lifted 4x4, went home and got in the shower. That hurt like holy hell fire, like someone threw salt in all those raw places.

Honda has a TSB on the oil separator for 1975-76 GoldWings, it will puke oil if it isn't serviced properly. The wad of hoses for it is right in front of the rear tire.

The cop agreed to drop the tickets after I showed him the pics of the oil and tire tracks, along with a copy of Honda's TSB.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts