Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
There's also the AC voltage test on each leg of the stator. If the stator checks out fully, we can concentrate more on the r/r and why the plug is melting.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
Hey Thorn, didn't someone fix the melting plug by running the monitor wire directly to the battery?

Seems like that problem may have been coming from the JB and the monitor running through it?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I don't recall a specific case of running the monitor to the battery, but it would be a good idea.

The thing is, the monitor wire shouldn't have current running through it. Voltage, yes, but it's basically just a signal wire to tell the R/R when to crank out current on the white wire or when to throttle back. So ... there's probably a short from the signal wire to ground?

If that were the case, though, those wires should ALSO be heating up when the ignition is on but the engine isn't running, since the battery would be dumping current through there too. Sounds like a bad R/R.

Edit: For what it's worth for troubleshooting, the monitor wire doesn't go through the JB, only the ignition switch.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
Ahh, ok thanks. Maybe it was the white wire they bypassed direct to the battery?

Not sure if I can search the forum very well from my phone. I'll try with Google site search.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I tested the RR According to the chart....i didn’t even know that was in the manual 🤦‍♂️.. lol. Anyways From what I can tell, with my meager electric skills. it appears the RR is bad ... I know everyone says to go with the mosfet RR. But I’m trying to keep this as cheap as possible Right now. And I don’t want to invest in a pricey part and have it eat fried if it’s not the issue....Do you think it would be okay to go with a cheaper eBay one for now.? If it solves the problem I can ride with it for a while And then get a better quality part later on.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
Any lower priced mosfets on eBay?

Should be some posts here about certain bikes having the mosfet as OEM, and cheap on eBay.

Mosfet has better chance of stayin alive and helping the stator do the same. Not hard to wire up.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I went ahead and Ordered the cheaper RR before I seen your post... because wasn’t 100% I was on the right track so I just ordered what was on it. I just got it tonight, plugged it in and..... no change. Still doesn’t look like the battery is charging and wires are still getting hot... also the front cylinder is dying on me again at idle🤦‍♂️ It still puffs black smoke when I rev the bike and it comes back to life ... idk if it has any correlation with the electric issues tho... I would think probably not because the smoke... but idk why it would still be loading up and flooding with stock jets.... I was thinking maybe a the float sticking open but I don’t gets gas out of the overflow.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
The black smoke and symptoms are classic flooding, at idle in this case.

You can pull the two easy spark plugs and see which one has the most black soot. Will show which carb it's coming from.

These carbs don't have an overflow, one reason it can fill the cylinders and crankcase with gas. Does the oil smell like gas?

Also, after running a minute or so, see if the vacuum hose to the petcock is dry. If it's wet with gas, the petcock needs a diaphragm.

I'll re-read the thread and see what we've covered on the charging problem.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I pulled the wire harness out, so I could open it up and trace the wires a bit easier.... the brown wire is Melted from the RR all the way up to the bullet connector, that connects it to the ignition switch....the white wire next to it only shows sign of melting at The bullet connection but nowhere else. so I’m thinking the connector is just melted from the brown wire melting its connector while they were touching... none of the legs off the brown wire look melted, it seems to stay in a path right up to the bullets that plug it into the ignition switch So I’m wondering if the ignition switch has a short... it seems to function properly as far as on off and turning on all the lights...but it does turn with just a screwdriver so I’m sure it’s seen better days.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Just had a thought... the p.o cut the factory RR plug off, and replaced it with crimp connections.... do you think he might’ve have connected the wires back up wrong? 3 yellow stator leads on bottom of plug...Top of plug from left to right is,(1white)-(2black/yellow)-(3brown) are they in the right order ?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
Just had a thought... the p.o cut the factory RR plug off, and replaced it with crimp connections.... do you think he might’ve have connected the wires back up wrong? 3 yellow stator leads on bottom of plug...Top of plug from left to right is,(1white)-(2black/yellow)-(3brown) are they in the right order ?
Just right off, I don't think so, but I'll look for the pinout diagram and get back to you.

Thinking the brown monitor wire belongs in the middle. I'll look.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
All black/yellow wires on this bike are grounds. So it's wired wrong there also.

Edit: looks like all three wires are in the wrong pins. But check me on this.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Praise The Lord! I think that was it!
I swapped the brown wire with the black and yellow.. gave it a try and the battery looks like it’s charging and the wires aren’t getting hot anymore .. the stator wires are just a touch warm but nothing like before..

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
Praise The Lord! I think that was it!
I swapped the brown wire with the black and yellow.. gave it a try and the battery looks like it’s charging and the wires aren’t getting hot anymore .. the stator wires are just a touch warm but nothing like before..
Nice! Glad you mentioned that wire arrangement, we might've pulled all our hair out.

It's a wonder it didn't all melt down.

Think it may normal for the stator wires to be warm. Seems like I've read that.

So what voltage are you getting now?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Good call on the petcock diaphragms ... I’ll Be ordering a set tonight... and the voltage im not sure the exact number. But my battery says 10 with the key on and 12 after i start the bike... before it would just drop. (Cheap multimeter)

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
Cool, maybe you'll get to ride soon.

Good thing you posted this morning, I knew I told someone I would re-read the thread for an electrical problem, but couldn't remember who. I looked everywhere but this thread.

Worked in tv news, still horrible at remembering names.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
I sure hope so. I’ve been going nuts with all this nice weather and nothing to ride lol
but on the plus side I’ve gotten to know about every inch of this bike. Which is always nicer to learn at home, as apposed to The shoulder of the rd.lol

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
Amen to that! By the end of the season you'll be a veteran vulcanologist.

We're getting 45 degrees tonight and bouncing up to a nice juicy heat index Tuesday and the rest of the week. What the hey, I declared Winter over with a couple of weeks ago.

I've read that the rotation of the earth has slowed somewhat. Time to get on the world's fastest Vulcan and head West to kick the old mother up a notch.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts