Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Okay got it all back together. The tuxedo mod went well. I notched the stator cover Also, to make it easier to change in the future. I also used some 1/16 cork gasket roll to take up the space between the cover and case instead of trying to file it perfectly flat or just globing it full of permatex. it appears to be a success bike starts up and runs! And no leaks... now onto the next issue. this is the first time I’ve had the bike running... I bought it non running after setting outside a couple years. and I have been cleaning and tinkering on it a lot. And I’m currently about half way through a earshave...”figure I might as well while it’s apart”. Well anyways I had the Bike running and I noticed a loud tapping from the front cylinder, sounds like it’s coming from up high to me both cyl crank up to 150psi. So I don’t think it’s pistol slap..... I removed the valve cover and found some wear that looked abnormal to me. But I’ve never worked on the valve train of a Vulcan so I can’t be 100%. It looks like the rocker is rubbing on the valve head. And I’m guessing that’s the tapping noise I’m hearing...

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Here are a couple pics of the cut in the stator cover. and a link to a video of the bike running making the noise.... I’m not crazy about the way the wires looking coming out of the cover but it will make changing the stator in the future near effortless.

https://youtu.be/IgXoF_Rpbfg

Attachments

·
Registered
7,903 Posts
Doesn't look too bad, maybe some small zipties then tape it up. Possibly get some silicone down inside the grommet before zipping it up.

I routed my wires up over trans and loomed it to one of lifting eyes on top of the trans.

Never saw a cork gasket for the stator before.

·
Registered
7,903 Posts
Could slip a black or chrome loom over it all after it's wrapped up, or even a braided hose cover.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I have some black plastic wire loom wrap I will probably use.... but the braided line does sound like it would look cool lol and as for the noise in the front cylinder... could it be the cam chain is loose? I revved the bike up a bit and let it set at slow cruising speed about 25-3000rpm and the noise was gone .... seems to only make it at an idle. How would I check if my tensioner is bad?

·
Registered
7,903 Posts
Heh, forgot all about the video. Yes, sounds like a bad ACCT.

Touch the back of each ACCT and see if you can feel the tap most right on the housings.

I wouldn't run it much, or very hard, while it's like that, it sounds like the valve timing is changing as it runs. Exhaust note timed with loudest tapping. Bad valve talk.

MCCT is the way to go, ebay - about $28 each, TOC - about $75 now? ,,, each .. homemade - about $8 for both, even less if you have the bolts already.

I plan on buying the $28 ebay ones if I ever need them. Replace both.

·
Registered
7,903 Posts
Could be the idle is a bit slow in the video also. Might explain some of the lope, but I'm 99% sure you have variable valve timing right now.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I took the Acct out disassembled it and then put it back together and installed it. Seemed to quiet down the sharp tapping sound a lot...so I’ll probably replace them with some Mcct’s.
I think the rough idle is partly, because low idle, partly that I’m half way through an ear shave.. So far I’ve plugged reed valves, removed air box and all the hose, plugged the vents on the sides of the carbs and left the vents in between open ... (I think that’s how I’m supposed to do it lol)but no air filters yet and still running stock jets. Once the jets arrive I’m hoping the idle will smooth out some.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
So I’ve got the bike rideable. It still need some new cct’s and a couple other things, before I would consider it complete... But today was the first day I’ve “rode” it. just down the rd a mile to test it out... it runs great cruising speed. And picks up like a bullet.... but when you throttle down the idle is a little off still sometimes high, sometimes almost stalling...And after a few seconds the front cyl goes dead .. I think it loses spark and is loading up, because if you rev the bike back up all the sudden it crackles and comes back to life, with a puff of blackish sooty smoke that smells like unburned gas....I thought maybe the new jets were to big (main 142)(pilot 42) plus two shims per needle...sooo first I removed the shims, no change. then I switched the pilot jet back to stock in just the front carb. still no change... That’s why I’m thinking it may not be a carb issue.... Also the wire harness under the seat is getting hot is that normal ?

·
Registered
7,903 Posts
142/42 is usually too rich.

Sounds like it could be loading up with fuel, then cleaning out.

Not sure on the harness... Engine heat yes, but the wiring shouldn't be generating much heat at all.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Okay I’ll change The jets back to stock. and see if that helps... I’m running (uni filters pk-92) good filters and don’t interfere with the carb ports for about half the price of k&9s . It also has Vance and Hines aftermarket pipes..im pretty sure our elevation is only about 900ft. So I don’t know if that will affect it much.

Also you said earlier in a post that, you thought you heard variable valve timing? I’m not familiar with that term. what would Be the cause for that and how I would I fix it ?

·
Registered
7,903 Posts
Okay I’ll change The jets back to stock. and see if that helps... I’m running (uni filters pk-92) good filters and don’t interfere with the carb ports for about half the price of k&9s . It also has Vance and Hines aftermarket pipes..im pretty sure our elevation is only about 900ft. So I don’t know if that will affect it much.

Also you said earlier in a post that, you thought you heard variable valve timing? I’m not familiar with that term. what would Be the cause for that and how I would I fix it ?
I've got Uni PK92s and stock jets on mine. Runs great.

Loose, clacking, cam chain tensioners on your engine. At idle it sounds like your cam timing is changing on it's own.

In other words, sounds like you need a pair of MCCTs to replace the stock ACCTs.

Sorry I wasn't clear.

Edit: Elevation won't have much bearing at all until you get above 5000ft.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I changed the jets back to stock and it runs much better thank you! I also decided to try modding the acct into Mccts, like some others on here have done to save some money. Seems to be good so far. As for the hot wire harness....I started it up to adjust the Mcct and noticed a small amount of smoke... at first I thought I had just dropped gas onto the exhaust from pulling the carbs so many times, but then realized that the R/R and all the wires coming from it are so hot that they are beginning to melt the electrical tap wrapping the harness.... Not sure what that’s all about any suggestion on what I should check or should I just get a new R/R ?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,903 Posts
You're welcome.

Can ohm test the r/r, the chart in the manual isn't the easiest to use, but it helps once you get how to use it.

Does sound like the r/r could be shorting out. Will take the stator with it if ridden enough in that condition.

·
Registered
7,903 Posts
May as well test the stator while the ohm meter is out for the R/R testing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Tested the stator it doesn’t seem to be shorting... the wires all warm up but the yellow ones, I can continue to hold in my hand with the bike running.... the white and brown wires however, they are getting hot enough I can’t hold them without getting buafter the bike has run for 30 seconds or so... the white wire still looks good just very hot. The brown wire has definitely been doing some melting tho. i don’t believe the R/R is stock so I’m not sure how to test it. The only markings on the R/R are (MZS E-040)

·
Registered
7,903 Posts
I would try to use the stock testing chart and see if it shows any problem.

It still has the stock R/R plug, correct?

Did you disconnect the stator for testing?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Yea I unplugged the stator and tested from each wire and grounded the other lead on the engine.. no connection...... as for the R/R it has a six prong female block plug....the p/o relocated the RR and I think he replaced it for an eBay RR. The type That come with its own plug. and he just connected the new plug with crimp connections.... I also just discovered that my battery isn't charging.....big surprise 🙄 lol.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts