Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
So the legs of the stator shouldn't be electrified, only the windings, so even if it were rubbing (obviously that's still bad) it wouldn't be shorting. That loose wire has to be a piece of the winding, and is likely the source of any shorting (well, the OTHER end of that break is probably what is shorting).

A new stator and a new plate should fix the problem. And possibly a new R/R. a scuffed rotor shouldn't be a big issue.
Um, is the rotor scuffed on just that one side, or is it all the way around?

·
Registered
7,934 Posts

Looking at this pic, the mod plate looks severely tilted to the left, and most of the right side is gapped away from modded stator mount (the cutout piece).

Is this only due to the plate being warped, or is there anything wrong with the screws? Are the screws all bottomed out against the 'case' and tight? I would blue Loctite all the screws for this mod, stator mount and mod plate scews.

Also see a loop of the coil winding sticking up kinda close to the iron.. Is it touching there?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I took some More photos to help show what Ive found. from what I can see I’m 100% sure that what Is sticking up on the stator, is actually part of the stator leg... it appears to have delaminated and started to come apart. And the leg next to it was about to go as well..the rotor does have scratches all the way around but mainly just that half of it.. as for the mounting plate. the tilt was partly to do with my picture but it is definitely not flat. It looks to me like the P.O over tightened the screws, causing the plate to bend around the small tabs/veins on The case. Unfortunately either way I think I will have to pull the motor because I got impatient and broke par of the generator cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
WOW is right, the P.O definitely did not do this right... and that stator plate is likely ruined unless you can get it straightened perfectly.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts
These bikes won't shift above,2nd gear unless they are running

Sent from my 100005206 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
These bikes won't shift above,2nd gear unless they are running

Sent from my 100005206 using Tapatalk
realy? Beacuse that would make me feel better lol I’ve never heard that before. Never had a bike I couldn’t shift through all the gears by rocking either. Any others have. Experience with this?

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
realy? Beacuse that would make me feel better lol I’ve never heard that before. Never had a bike I couldn’t shift through all the gears by rocking either. Any others have. Experience with this?
Yep, won't shift above 1st unless it's moving about 10 mph, maybe a little slower. Most if not all Kawis have the PNF, Positive Neutral Finder. So if you're stopped, it will only go into neutral or first. You can get neutral without doing a half shift.

Makes it kind of a bear to push start. Have to let the clutch out in first, then if you have helpers pushing, you might be able to get 2nd if it didn't start right away.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well I’ve decided to keep at it...I spent most of the day yesterday and a few minutes this morning🤦‍♂️ pulling the engine. What a chore ....anyways. I’m going to clean it up and order a replacement generator cover. And I plan on doing the stator mod to the new cover, Properly. Should I cut out the new cover for the stator and pickup wires or rout them through the original opening. Also who makes the best stator plate kit. if i cant get this one back to flat.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
I didn't cut my stator cover, but did reroute the wires up over the top of the trans instead of down under and behind the clutch arm. Covered the wires with heater hose and ziptied to the lifting eye on top of the trans.

GCExtreme is probably the best bet for the mod plate, $100 on ebay. TOC did have the plate, at 2-3 times the price.

Saw a stator case on ebay too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Well i got my new stator cover in the mail and made the cuts for the mod plate best I could ... coping saw, chainsaw file, and some determination. And it’s didn’t turn out to bad . Thankfully, I think I was able to get the mod plate nice and flat again... so I think I’ll be able to re-use it. The P/O didn’t use any spacers, between the mod plate and the case section. I’m thinking that’s why it bent so bad .. any suggestions on what would work best for spacers and how tall to make them ?

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Depends on how bad you broke the cover you can jb weld it I have had great luck will jb weld on motorcycle cases let it setup and harden it is even sandable and paintable

·
Registered
508 Posts
Well i got my new stator cover in the mail and made the cuts for the mod plate best I could ... coping saw, chainsaw file, and some determination. And it’s didn’t turn out to bad . Thankfully, I think I was able to get the mod plate nice and flat again... so I think I’ll be able to re-use it. The P/O didn’t use any spacers, between the mod plate and the case section. I’m thinking that’s why it bent so bad .. any suggestions on what would work best for spacers and how tall to make them ?
I used JB weld to hold 4 grade 8 washers (I don't recall diameter) as spacers.
They're placed as 2 stacks of 2.
I went to the hardware store with my plate and stator center piece, and kept grabbing different washers until I found ones that fit the space perfectly.

https://www.vn750.com/forum/19-electrical/105465-tuxedo-mod-tips.html

13 Posts
This has probably been covered, but I thought would ask anyways. I recently picked up a non running, 1994 vn750 with about 7,5xx miles . PO told me he parked it after some electrical issues. He told me it rode great until one day it just died. He changed the Main fuse And the R/R. And it ran for a week and then died again. So he Parked it.. after i got the bike home I put a new battery in and as soon as I switch the ignition on It would blow the main 30amp. I found some melted wires but nothing shorted. I was curious so I unplugged the r/r and there was life! everything turns on and even the starter engages. But if I plug the r/r back in, the main fuse blows as soon as I turn the ignition on .... I tested the r/r with my multi meter and far as I can tell it checks out.. he also told me that the p/o changed out a faulty stator. Is it possibly that the stator itself is shorting out and blowing the fuse ? I’m pretty handy with a wrench but I tend to get confused trying to understand electrical any help would be great.
Dumb question, but I need to ask as I know nothing about bikes, what is R/R?

·
2,520 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Dumb question, but I need to ask as I know nothing about bikes, what is R/R?
You're going to save yourself a lot of "What the hell are they talking about" time if you take a look at the "vulcan slang for newcomers" post in my signature!

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Absolutely, and the Vulcan Verses should help. Haven't looked at it for a while . myself.

21 - 40 of 85 Posts