Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I changed my oil today, and took off to work on a friends computer. He's about two miles away. Got to his house and after a while had to come back home to get a cable and off again to his house. Fix the computer, hopped on the "Biglet" at got about 3 or 4 blocks away before noticing something just isn't right. Stopped and looked at the left side where a strong blast of air was coming from and oops... NO STINKING OIL CAP!!! :BLAM: And a wet oily pants leg to boot. Boot was oily too. So back tracked very slowly at an idle to his place looking for the cap. Found it in the middle of his drive way. Put it on, checked the oil, just below the full line and tightened it with some pliers this time, not just by hand. Guess I got lucky that I wasn't doing 70 somewhere and not noticing it was gone, because the engine would have been gone by the time I saw a low oil light.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Shouldn't need to tighten it with pliers.
Is the O-ring still on it?

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
good point. i bought extra orings. plus cap just for gp.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Oil ring was still there, but I guess I didn't get tight enough by hand. Might need a new one, got a '00 bike. Snug now, and I always carry tools in my bags, so no problem getting it loose if I need to add some on a trip.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
QUOTE: "tightened it with some pliers this time, not just by hand."

Glad you dicovered the cap was gone before any engine damage was incurred.
Pliers are really designed for bending stuff, not tightning threaded fasteners. They tend to round off nuts and bolt heads, or chew up finished surfaces in the case of your oil cap. I keep a 6" adjustable wrench in my bikes tool kit for chores like this.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
I needed to add oil when I was about 35 miles from home once. I hand tightened it but wanted it just a little tighter. I pinched a quarter with a pair of pliers and turned it just a bit more. It worked great. My o-ring was there though...

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
Oil ring was still there, but I guess I didn't get tight enough by hand. Might need a new one, got a '00 bike. Snug now, and I always carry tools in my bags, so no problem getting it loose if I need to add some on a trip.
I had an '01, but never needed to tighten the oil cap more than hand tight. Might just be the o-ring that kept it tight enough.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I needed to add oil when I was about 35 miles from home once. I hand tightened it but wanted it just a little tighter. I pinched a quarter with a pair of pliers and turned it just a bit more. It worked great. My o-ring was there though...
I forgot you have a different hombra, yours is slotted, right LP...???
My 03 & 06s had ears, and I did like OHC, used a cresent wrench to snug them down... I also folded a small piece of thick paper over the ear first to prevent any scratching/burring...
LP-Times sure have changed, we used to call tight people penny pinchers, so now its quarter pinchers, sounds about right given the inflation factor...:beerchug:...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts