Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Captive New Yorker....
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my bike has been running too hot. When I put the engine back in, I filled the cooling system, but never bled it, so I'm thinking that's the problem.

Since it's gonna be 100 here today, I thought it was a good time to do it. I started the bike, and opened the bleeder valve (I'm assuming it's the 10mm nut at the top of the thermostat housing??), but no coolant ever comes running out.

I idled the bike for a while, till the temp gauge moved, and the system got hot, but nothing has ever come out of the bleeder valve at all, it's dry as a bone. It doesn't have to be removed, correct???

Maybe my thermostat is bad????

·
Registered
738 Posts
When the engine is COLD:
  1. Open the bleeder valve
  2. Remove the normal filler cap
  3. Pour in 50/50 antifreeze mix into the normal filler opening until fluid exits the bleeder valve
  4. Close bleeder valve
  5. Recap normal filler opening
  6. Done

·
Captive New Yorker....
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I go to fill the cooling system, antifreeze does not run out of the bleeder valve after I open it, the antifreeze just fills up the radiator and overflows out of the opening in the radiator. Does this mean my thermostat is not working properly??

·
Registered
8,456 Posts
The thermostat won't open until it reaches operating temperature, if the bleeder is on the back side of the stat, you would have to warm the engine first, then open the bleeder. I'll have to look at mine, it's off the bike right now.

edit: Probably doesn't matter which side the t-stat is on, the coolant wouldn't flow until the t-stat opens, unless there's a bypass hose somewhere.

Honestly, I've never used a bleeder on any cooling system. I just leave the cap off until the t-stat opens and coolant is flowing good. The air works itself out through the filler neck. I may have to on the VN, it's a whole different setup.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Ive always bled mine with the bleeder rear of the cap...if its not sputtering for you, could be the bleeder itself is clogged...its the same as a brake bleeder...you can match it up to replace at an autoparts place, for a Jap car...

·
Registered
738 Posts
Repeat

When the engine is COLD, as in not running, as in sat overnight, as in I have not inserted the key today:

1. Open the bleeder valve
  2. Remove the normal filler cap
  3. Pour in 50/50 antifreeze mix into the normal filler opening until fluid exits the bleeder valve
  4. Close bleeder valve
  5. Recap normal filler opening
  6. Done

I have done this. It works. If not working for you, then something is wrong: bike not on center stand, ground not level, plugged hose, bleeder valve plugged, etc. Also, I put a small piece of clear tubing on the bleeder valve (same type I use for bleeding brakes). It let me direct the flow overflow into a container and not down the side of the bike. Pinch the clear tubing at the top of the valve (my hands are small enough to reach) when removing to prevent even a drop from hitting the bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts