Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just had new tires put on my bike and noticed black greese or oil spinning out of the back wheel on the left side. Is there a seal that I need to replace? What kind of oil or grease do I put in it. It is now starting to squeak when it is cold.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Any grease on the left side should not be spinning out of the hub... unless of course, the dudes who installed your tire over-greased the splines on the hub.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
It bothers me that it squeaks when its cold. Have you checked your final drive oil? If its final drive oil you might have a seal leaking.
With the bike on the center stand, and in neutral, can you spin the rear wheel freely? It could be they over adjusted your rear brake and it squeaks until it warms up a bit. Just a thought.

·
Registered
129 Posts
As far as the type of oil goes, I believe I use 90 weight gear oil, on the rear final drive casing it should tell you what exact kind of oil to use, I think it says like 80 weight. The manual says that when filling, it should touch the bottom of the threads of fill hole. Filling this can be a little bit of a chore when you don't have a filler tip on the oil bottle. I cut a square out of the flat part of a paper plate and then folded it in half to form a kind of channel when pouring in the gear oil.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!!!
I appreciate all your help. Is the final drive oil filled in the hub of the rear wheel? I see a plug at about the two oclock location on the left side.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
you may also have a leak past the big "O" ring if they put anything but Moly 60 in there. I chases that problem for almost a year until I replaced the O ring and used the Moly.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
you may also have a leak past the big "O" ring if they put anything but Moly 60 in there. I chases that problem for almost a year until I replaced the O ring and used the Moly.
So are you saying that using something heavier, like wheel bearing grease, will force its way out of the splines?

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I had this happen too the first time I pulled my final drive and discovered the eaten up, dry splines. O-ring was flat and I packed moly in there without replacing the o-ring til I could get a replacement final drive. The moly squeezed past the o-ring and some of it got slung around the rim. Made a pretty nasty mess to clean up. I probably over filled with moly that time too. I figure any grease would get past that o-ring if it were flat, or possibly by overloading the splines and coupling, you're gona squeeze some of the moly out just by putting it back together. It has to go somewhere. Don't know how it finds its way outside the case, but it seems to.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
That's a different issue than what I was talking about. Before the issue was cured I read somewhere on this forum that if you use anything other than the Moly, when it heats up it gets thinner and makes its way past the O ring. The Moly does not thin out. Since my problem went away once the Moly got in there I have to assume that was it.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I'm having some issues with this, too, but I'm pretty sure that it's final drive oil and that I have a bad large O-ring. When I lubed the splines, I was going to change out the O-ring, but noticed that the O-ring around the fill lug was shot, too, and thought that maybe *it* was the problem. Changed that one out, but not the large O-ring. Still have the problem. Next time I have the rear wheel off, I'll swap out that o-ring, but until then, I'll just keep an eye on the oil level.

--FA

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi,

I had this very problem last year and it was the drive oil leaking out.

In the end I had to get the local shop to deal with it as it required special tools to complete the repair.

They had to replace 2 seals (1 large & 1 small), the large O ring and the bearing in the final drive (you can see all these in diagrams in the manuals).

The oil had been leaking from the inner smaller seal and running along the inside of the bearing.

Didn't take long to fix but cost me £115 and that was just taking in the final drive assembly for them to work on.

It took a couple of days for it to become completely leak free after I re-fitted the final drive.

Cheers, Trace.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts