Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you imagine going down the road and thinking I wander what he is saying under his breath. I know what I am saying! Well f-you then don't wave.

·
Registered
796 Posts
My wave turns into a middle finger if they don't wave except if they are wearing colors.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'd say don't conclude too much from a rider that doesn't reply with a wave. There could be many reasons for a non response.

The biker could be someone like me, just learning to ride and thus have more important things on his mind like is that car going to try to cut me off and run me off the road.

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
Budo has a damn good point there, I do most of my riding commuting and not pleasure riding. Which puts me on the freeway most of the time, even though I've been on two wheels for over 20 years I still like to keep both hands on the bars at 70mph+. So when riders are going the oposite way on the freeway I useally dont return the wave, I'll give them a nod, if the dont see my nod, it aint my "F'n" problem.

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts
Yeah...if I'm on a busy multi-lane highway, sorry if I don't wave. I'm busy watching the idiots on MY side of the road. Not so much paying attention to who's going the other direction. :)

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
I wave if waved at. sometimes i will initiate, but most of the time i just keep my paws on the grips.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Initiate or return a wave if you feel like doing so, and you feel it is safe to take your hand off the bars. Come on guys, you are big tough bikers. Develop a thick skin, and don`t be so quick so take offence. As mentioned before, there may be several reasons why a wave is not returned. Don`t take it so personally. You are responsible for your own actions.

Choose to be the bigger man and don`t let someone else trigger your temper or your reactions. It just is not that big a deal! You may be having a great day and all is well in your world. The rider who didn`t return your wave may be dealing with any number of problems or emergencies in his life. Learn to give a soft answer, and shrug off any rebuff of your friendly wave. Do your best not to give offence, and don`t be quick to take offence. Your blood pressure will stay down and your day will be much more enjoyable.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
YEAH! WHY CAN'T YOU GUYS GET IT STRAIGHT! I MEAN WHAT IS YOUR MALFUNCTION?
lol

Biker wave.

·
Registered
192 Posts
When I first returned to riding a few months ago after about 20 years of not riding, I worried about what other riders would think about my "half wave" with my left hand still partially glued to the handlebars. Now I realize that some feel comfortable waving all out while in a steep lean in a tight turn, and others feel safer with the universal head nod. Some are not out there to socialize at all. It is what it is; they don't owe me a thing.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I wave if I see them in time and it won't wreck me...lol... I even wave at scooters & bicycle riders especially on the back roads, surprises some of them I believe...
Really don't bother me that much if a cycle rider don't return the wave, because I know there have been times that I had my head elsewhere and didn't catch them in time, sometimes I just catch them in time to give a quick head nod, but I never ignore anyone on purpose, not even the vn750 riders after the way they talk about my bike here on the forum...lol...
BTW-I didn't buy my Sportster because it was a Harley, I bought my Harley because it was a Sportster...
Naww, y'all are alright or I wouldn't keep coming back here...lol...
Remember today is all about those that gave their all that we could have so much fun...God bless...:carryflag...:carryflag...:carryflag...
I also salute those that are now serving, thank you for your service...
Thanks, and have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,735 Posts
one time when the wife and I were riding around town, she was in front of me and she waved at some guy (riding a big loud hog) coming our way, he didn't wave back and then I waved at him and he just gave me the finger! did I get mad? hell no! I laught my ass off! I tought that was great!
so, some times they wave back, sometimes they don't and sometimes they flip up off! don't get mad, it's all good!

·
Columbus, Ohio
523 Posts
I wave when I can.
What is it they say? Beemer riders can't see you over their noses... Goldwing drivers NEED to hold on with both hands... Harley riders are holding a tool bag.
I can wave on some turns and nod when my hands are busy. One old guy on an Electraglide told me he only brings his wife so she can wave for him.

I try not to take offense when I am snubbed...or missed.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I wave even when in a cage, that I am calused against none wavers. I sometimes even wave at night. lol

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Why can`t we just lift one or two fingers off the grips like I do when giving the trucker`s wave? Using the whole hand is considered excessive! LOL:wow:

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Actually Hoss, here in our area, we kind of do our left hand out and point it towards the ground. It is like pointing at some thing that is about 6 to 8 feet away from you. Can you picture it?

·
Registered
411 Posts
I'll wave at all bikes that I pass on the road. Sometimes, though, I can't return waves that are directed at me, like if I was checking my mirrors and didn't see the person in time, or if I'm accelerating from a stop sign or a light and my clutch hand is thus busy at the moment, etc. Motorcycling seems to be one of the few areas in my life where I don't automatically attribute malice to the actions (or the lack thereof) of the other person. I think that most bikers are friendly to other bikers, so I assume that if I wave to someone who doesn't wave back, I chalk it up to his probably not having seen me and continue with my ride.

--FA

·
Cruisin' through my 50's
115 Posts
I wave at everything on 2 or 3 wheels or anyone who waves to me first. Usually I'll initiate the wave. Sometimes my hands are busy so all you'll get is a head nod or engine rev. I don't usually wave on interstates, roads divided by a median or once it gets dark but if the other bike initiates it, I'll try to respond, if it's safe to do.

I usually remove my left hand from the grip and extend it out and downward maybe one finger pointing to the ground, maybe a peace sign, sometimes just an open hand. I don't want it above the handlebars because I don't want someone behind me thinking I'm signaling a turn. The problem with just shooting a finger wave from the grips is when you're wearing gloves that are close in color to your jacket it all gets lost in a blend of colors. But bottom line is that you do what you feel safe with doing.

I usually don't care if someone waves back, heck I usually keep my eyes looking forward so a lot of times I don't even see if someone waves back. I will say, there is one guy on a Harley, that I see at least once a month, that goes out of his way to give me the finger but I consider that his baggage, not mine. I'm going to keep waving to him.

Sometimes my mind is occupied (like when the car in front of me has just done something dumb) and I'll miss a wave. I feel bad for a second, but it happens.

I still laugh when I'm on some back country road and the biker coming the other way sits up real straight, or even stands, and give me one of the big full arm arch "Howdy" waves.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
We are lucky to have such a casual wave as the biker wave, and the responsibility to wave is purely optional, and whether or not the wave is returned is inconsequential. We aren't, by the very definition of the biker wave, forced into waving for any reason, big bike or moped, and it shouldn't have any affect on our mood or how our day goes.
The JEEP wave however is a far bigger thing, and you must study the rules to know your place in the JEEP hierarchy and whether you should wave, how big to wave and when you should wave, according to the rules... http://www.jeeptalk.org/jeep_wave.php

:doh:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts