Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It all started after I re-installed a set of carbs I was rebuilding. The Bike won't turn over with the start switch with the bike in neutral or with the clutch pulled in and it doesn't have any spark to the plugs when I bypass the starter relay. The starter does turn over. I replaced the main fuse and checked any connections I may have hit trying to get the carbs back in. The only thing electrical I even got close to was the switches on the choke site of the bars. All other electrical items do work ie.. horn, signals lights.

I believe it is something with one of the safety switches.

Any help it greatly appreaciated and needed... I want to ride..

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Did you check the switch on the kickstand.
Or the run switch on the right hand.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't think the kick stand would matter because it does it in neutral also. The run kill switch was good last week when I took out the carbs. I will bypass it in the morning. Also I have jumped the connections going into clutch side with the same results. But like you said if it is the kill switch then I would lose start and fire. correct.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
I have never triet to jump the starter with the killl switch off.
Looking at the wiring schematick the kill switch is in line with the ignition switch so I would say yes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bypassed the kill switch with same results. Should there be 12 volts at the kill switch? I couldn't find any voltage at the switch with the ignition on

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Check your main connections under the seat. It sounds like one of the connecting plugs is partially disconnected.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I wouldn't think the kick stand would matter because it does it in neutral also.
If the kickstand switch is stuck, it won't start in neutral.
That's one of the first things I'd check out.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If the kickstand switch is stuck, it won't start in neutral.
That's one of the first things I'd check out.
As for my bike, it starts on kickstand(I think it depends on bike's years).

I agree with Sky Rider it's in connection problem, You should connect voltmeter to start button and shake every connector,fuse and every thing in ignition chain antil you see the right volts on meter.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all, Problems solved.. It appears that the connecter from the kill switch harness got disconnected behind the front coil. Could have happened we I pulled the chock cable through for the carb work.

Also my bike will start with the kick stand down in neutral or with the clutch pull in.

Another think to note that maybe should be in the carb section is that my bike will only run right if the vent hose is pointed forward. Not back under the tank and for sure not going in to the hole behind the air filter (and yes i did cut it at 45 degrees). Don't know if that might have be the problem the whole time or not, but at least I know my carbs are good and assemble correctly (unlike the person who owned the bike before me).

Also another question. If you take 10 pounds of crab (18 gauge wire from Kawi) and stuff it in a 5 pound bag (location behind 1 coil and headlight) how much crap to you really have.

Again thanks to all especially Ccspinner who had me look at the kill switch first.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Glad you fund it.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Question for Chad......

Chad, is your avitar a picture of a pet squirrel?

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
It is a Squirl with a black panther head.
Photoshop work

1 - 12 of 12 Posts