Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working on getting my bike started. It is a 93' version. I cleaned the carbs and when trying to start it it would only spit but never really fire even though it has fire.

Last night I got seafoam to run through the carbs and when I hit the starter button it wouldn't even dim the lights to try and crank. The switches are in the run position and the bike is in neutral but nothing.

Any recommendations would be great.

Grace and Peace to you!
Richard

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
If you can operate a VOM, a number of people here can successfully troubleshoot the starting system. Piece of cake to isolate the components. The difference will be the order.

I would start at the starter solenoid. Behind the right side cover. You will be able to verify proper function of the battery, starter button and solenoid.

I can not attain the heights of Spockster, New Rider and others, but I probably would be able to walk you though.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
I have been working on getting my bike started. It is a 93' version. I cleaned the carbs and when trying to start it it would only spit but never really fire even though it has fire.

Last night I got seafoam to run through the carbs and when I hit the starter button it wouldn't even dim the lights to try and crank. The switches are in the run position and the bike is in neutral but nothing.

Any recommendations would be great.

Grace and Peace to you!
Richard
VN750 electrical systems can be finicky, a weak / not fully charged battery can render weak spark.

Clean ALL connector contacts well.
Clean ALL Battery/Frame connections well.
Ensure Battery is FULLY Charged.
If Boosting/Jumping 750 battery, Do NOT have car running.
Purchase/install a MF AGM Battery...= preferred choice.
Ensure Spark Plugs are dry & serviceable. Replace SP cables as necessary.
Occasionally, Ignition Switch &/or Start Button contacts give problems.
Ensure gasoline is fresh...87 Octane best.

hope this helps
:smiley_th +1

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
after I posted this I realized that it could be something as simple as the solenoid or a loose connection. I have worked on bikes for years then I quit working on them and just forgot what I could only do if I sat back and thought.

The battery is strong, it is a marine battery but it isn't the fire that I am not getting but the fuel I think. I will look and see. Thanks!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well I found that my petcock was leaking and turned it off and blew dry the gas off the engine. Also found that when I move the handle bars to the left that I can turn over my bike. So there has to be a loose wire in my harness. Is the wiring assembly inside the headlight like on the Honda's?

Is there a rebuild kit for the petcock?

Still won't crank, just spits on what seems to be one cylinder only.

Thanks!

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
well I found that my petcock was leaking and turned it off and blew dry the gas off the engine. Also found that when I move the handle bars to the left that I can turn over my bike. So there has to be a loose wire in my harness. Is the wiring assembly inside the headlight like on the Honda's?

Is there a rebuild kit for the petcock?

Still won't crank, just spits on what seems to be one cylinder only.

Thanks!
Yes, rebuild kit...ebay ($35.00 ?)....most/all have good success w/rebuild.
under the tank are a few pertinent connectors.....
EDIT: Suggest while you are at it, also check/clean Junction Box Connector contacts.

Dielectric grease should be a bikers best friend !

:smiley_th +1

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
Also found that when I move the handle bars to the left that I can turn over my bike. So there has to be a loose wire in my harness.
This sounds like a broken wire off the ignition switch where it goes around the front of the head tube. I'd suggest taking a good look at those wires to eliminate that problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts