Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:(I've got a strange problem that hopefully someone can help me with. I borrowed my bike to a buddy of mine and 5 minutes later he comes pushing it back to my driveway. He stopped at a friends a couple blocks away and the bike ran fine. When he went to start the bike back up the engine won't turn over. All I have is a whirring coming from the starter. Thought the starter went bad so got a replacement, and after performing an unnecessary oil change and swapping starters out, realized I had the same issue. :confused: The starter solinoid clicks fine and I think the original starter is still fine as well. Just baffled as to why the engine dosn''t even attempt to turn over. Currently have the battery on a charger to see if that'll do anything but otherwise I am at a loss. So help me if I have to tear down my block 2 summers in a row I think I will go nuts. Hate to blame my buddy for doing anything, even though before he left I told him, "you break it you buy it". Somebody please tell me this is something quick, easy and cheap to fix. My gratitude in advance. :beerchug:

·
Newb with a Bullet!
589 Posts
I have no ideas, but where in IA are you? I am in Omaha. If I can assist let me know.

·
Premium Member
4,737 Posts
Have you checked your battery and ground connections to be sure they are clean and tight? Sounds like something may not be making good contact.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Have you bench tested the original starter that you have out?
Does it operate and sound normal if you hook it up to a battery with jumper cables?

It sounds to me like the electrical system is working if you can hear the starter "whirring" while installed in the engine case.
I would be looking at the gear on the starter motor and the driven gear that it engages. Is there a tooth or two worn down or missing, so that the starter gear cannot engage at that one spot?

I have not been inside the case, and am looking at the Clymer manual pictures here. There is also an intermediate or idler gear as well as a one way clutch in there, that only operates when the starter motor is engaged.
I`m thinking the one way clutch may be the problem.

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the input. I am in the process of checking the battery and grounds. To top off a bad week, my charger timer on my battery charger went bad when i was charging my battery. I work 3rd shift and hooked it up for what i thought was 45 minutes prior to going to bed. 3 hours later i woke up to what i thought smelled was my sewer backing up. needless to say the timer on my charger never kicked off and my sealed battery was not looking too good. I guess thats what several hours of charging it get me... at least it didn't blow up. Anyways, will have to get another one of those now too. Will update when I figure out what is up. . :hitanykey

·
Registered
209 Posts
what do you mean it wont turn over? like will it just crank and crank and crank?
is thats it, then the floats are dry, try priming the fuel by sucking on the vacuum line.

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
what do you mean it wont turn over? like will it just crank and crank and crank?
is thats it, then the floats are dry, try priming the fuel by sucking on the vacuum line.
He said "the engine won't turn over. All I have is a whirring coming from the starter."

That would mean the starter is turning but not engaging the engine.
Sounds like stripped gear.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Could be a stripped gear or the "sprag" one way starter gear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts