Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, first off thank you to everyone who helps me solve this problem. I will describe the bike, then the issue and everything I know and have checked.

The bike is a 94 and the previous owner had done electrical work on it to make it minimalistic. To start the bike one flips two switches and then presses the ignition button, no key involved.

The problem: I was riding the bike idling at a stop light and it shut off abruptly (no sputtering). When I tried to start it back up the bike made a series of incredibly fast and fairly quiet clicks with absolutely no response from the engine. When I called the previous owner he said I should check the solenoid by removing the two cables from it and tapping them together, when I did this the bike turned over and he concluded that it was the solenoid. Just finished installing the new part and it didn't change a thing. Same exact problem!

What I have tried:
-checked fuses
-checked battery cables for corrosion and tightness
- I tried to jump the bike, and when I did it turned over just fine, but as soon as i removed the jumper cables the clicking ensued when I tried to start it.

Please help! I am completely stumped.

·
Registered
468 Posts

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
does the rapid clicking noise sound like it is coming from the starter solenoid under the right side cover, or is it more faint and coming from the left side fuse box?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The clicking definitely sounds like it is coming from the solenoid, it wont start even when it is hooked up to jumper cables so I don't think the battery is the issue. It will turn over when connected to the cables though.

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
starter relay???? but with the clicking coming from the starter probably not,,,,,, just thinking here.

·
NEVER TO OLD TO RIDE
111 Posts
have you cleaned the battery terminals and connections. maybe a loose or bad contact
the ground most likely

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
Start eliminating things. If the bike turns over at all, not a starter problem. You have two switches, on switch turns on the lights I assume and the other is the starter. If the lights come on it's not that switch. The starter switch can cause weird stuff if it doesn't have good contact. Fiddle with that second switch just to make sure. This might explain why by-passing the solenoid makes it turn over but still not start. I agree on cleaning and sanding shiny, every damn electrical connection on the bike.

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
-I tried to jump the bike, and when I did it turned over just fine, but as soon as i removed the jumper cables the clicking ensued when I tried to start it.
This line here is why I think the battery is a problem.

I am assuming you had the cables connected to the battery, and not bypassing any of the electrical systems

·
Registered
277 Posts
X2 on the battery and grounds... make sure you check the engine to frame ground, and sand it down to ensure good contact...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have cleaned the terminals and made sure the contact is good, definitely not the battery, I'm about to inspect the starter switch and make sure everything is good on that end.

the starter relay and the solenoid are the same thing right? Unless my new part came in broken it shouldn't be that. I'll take the battery to get tested and let you guys know what happens. thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I have cleaned the terminals and made sure the contact is good, definitely not the battery, I'm about to inspect the starter switch and make sure everything is good on that end.

the starter relay and the solenoid are the same thing right? Unless my new part came in broken it shouldn't be that. I'll take the battery to get tested and let you guys know what happens. thanks for the help!
The relay in the fuse box (junction Box) is what actually triggers the solenoid.

If you are sure the battery is good (have it load tested), then I suspect you may have a bad Junction Box relay....which is causing the solenoid to "chatter".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Where can i find the junction box relay? I checked the 30 amp fuse and it looked fine, but i replaced it just to be sure and still no change, taking the battery in a few hours

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
The relays are inside the fuse box and not easily replaced... You have to cut the back of the fuse box or then unsolder the old relay and solder in a new one... Possible but not for the week of heart... Second option is to contact kc2dgq about a rebuilt jb and send him your old one... 3rd option is to buy a used jb which may or may not be good....

Are you sure the battery is good, and all your battery and ground cables are tight? Even the battery box to transmission ground?

·
NEVER TO OLD TO RIDE
111 Posts
just my thoughts. the starter and jb relay and solonoid all work fine with jumpers right? what would make the solonoid work fine with jumpers on but chatter with them off? loose battery cable or corroded, or bad battery right? the jb relay and starter and solonoid all work good with proper voltage and current.
jmo

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I agree as well...it really does sound like a battery issue to me....and that is assuming that wiring and all connections are good.

I asked if the chatter was coming from the right side or left simply to determine if the JB relay was chattering or if it was truly the starter solenoid.

·
NEVER TO OLD TO RIDE
111 Posts
When I called the previous owner he said I should check the solenoid by removing the two cables from it and tapping them together, when I did this the bike turned over and he concluded that it was the solenoid. Just finished installing the new part and it didn't change a thing. Same exact problem!

What I have tried:
-checked fuses
-checked battery cables for corrosion and tightness
- I tried to jump the bike, and when I did it turned over just fine, but as soon as i removed the jumper cables the clicking ensued when I tried to start it.

If you bypass the solonoid and it turns over, battery connections and battery appear good. either the power or ground on the switching side of the solonoid is bad. jump power to the lug on the solonoid that gets power when you press the starter button, if it turns over than one of those flip switch circuits po installed may not have good connection to solonoid, if it still don't turn over jump the ground lug on the solonoid to ground and press the start button , one or the other jumpers should make it turn over.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
It is possible to have a relay in the JB chatter rather than just fail to fire....I am not sure if your setup even utelizes the relay in the JB.

If you bypass the solonoid and it turns over, battery connections and battery appear good. either the power or ground on the switching side of the solonoid is bad. jump power to the lug on the solonoid that gets power when you press the starter button, if it turns over than one of those flip switch circuits po installed may not have good connection to solonoid, if it still don't turn over jump the ground lug on the solonoid to ground and press the start button , one or the other jumpers should make it turn over.
I assume you are asking him to essentially trigger the input side of the solenoid to see if the solenoid itself is bad (which can be the case).

By jumping the heavy output wires of the solenoid that feed the starter, you are bypassing the solenoid rather than testing it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts